cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have the app itch, but nothing to apply for...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have the app itch, but nothing to apply for...

Ain't that just the pits?  It's so boring not to have a "goal" and this gardening thing is for the birds!

I got my mortgage and closed last week, so I am free and clear to do what I wish now. Though, I can't think of any card that would be worth apping for. Perhaps I am just a FICO geek and don't want to take the point hit even if it is temporary.Though if there is something worthwhile, I'd rather do it now and let me average age grow. 

For major cards I already have: Chase Freedom Plus, Discover More, BofA Amex, BofA Americard, PenFed

Store card: Target 

Am I missing out on anything good for a PIF'er that only wants to rake in the rewards?

For store cards I have been contemplating Kohls...as I do a lot of shopping for home goods type of stuff at Kohls and they always ask me to apply at the register, but I'm not sure if their discounts for cardholders are anything better than the deals they always have at the store. 

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Have the app itch, but nothing to apply for...

It's actually quite nice if you don't have anything that your cards don't cover. You can spend any dollar only once anyway Smiley Wink.

As far as Kohl's is concerned, I believe their card discounts stack with their store discounts (this card is also on my short list of what I still want to get). I guess that's why the Kohl's and Macy's cards are so popular: They seem to really save money. At least if you don't start any unwarranted shopping sprees Smiley Very Happy.

Message Edited by Ulan on 04-22-2009 06:56 PM
Message 2 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Poor dear! Smiley Very Happy

I don't have a Kohl's card, but my understanding is that they have great early-bird specials and discounts for card holders, unless they've changed recently. They do seem to be one of the better cards in terms of perks.

I envy you your nicely-tailored collection of cards. I have some duds that I really can't get rid of, after projecting out what would happen to my AAoA in 10 years if I were to close them. Of course, by then I'll probably be using credit for Depends and Ensure shakes, but it's the principle of the thing.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well then maybe Kohl's is the way to go? Both of you seem to agree that it has nice perks. Thanks for the quick replies. I am pretty disciplined when I shop. I do splurge a little at times, but not on anything I didn't go into the store ready to purchase already, so I don't have to worry about overspending just because I get the card. Hehe.

I am pretty happy with the cards I have now. I chopped off my old crap cards...orchard and the likes and was also an AU on DF's Gap card, but after they chopped the limit down to $100 I told him to just close it before they closed it for him. It's still reporting on my reports though with the history just shown as closed at consumers request. Works for me. 

Hauling...atleast if you are using credit for Depends and Ensure, you'll have a ripe old credit history to go along with it. Haha.

Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have contemplated Macy's, too. Only because I've heard such awesome things about it and how fast it grows, but honestly, I don't shop at Macy's but once or twice a year so I feel like it might be a waste. Unless you get sales and other perks with that one too that I am unaware of?
Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have contemplated Macy's, too. Only because I've heard such awesome things about it and how fast it grows, but honestly, I don't shop at Macy's but once or twice a year so I feel like it might be a waste. Unless you get sales and other perks with that one too that I am unaware of?

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I go there, maybe, twice a year. But it's the same thing as with Kohl's: they offer lots of stackable discounts and sales for card members.

Message 6 of 29
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

I use my Macy's rewards for Depenz . . . . Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

UpUpUp wrote:

I've started doing a lot of online shopping with Macy's, or at least online window shopping (loading up my shopping bag), and I'm a little surprised that I'm not getting e-mails trying to get me to apply. For the online stuff, I'm not seeing anything entrancing about the card. And the nearest store is 200 miles away, so whatever goodies happen at checkout, I'm not likely to see them.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 8 Macy's stores in a few miles radius, so that would not be a problem. I just hardly ever shop there. I miss Robinsons-May, which Macy's bought.
Message 9 of 29
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

My dd has a Kohl's card and loves it. A lot of their discounts you get by mail (10-50% off)

are based on your CL with them, but you get cli pretty quick. She loves the $$ back you get with buying from them.

Her scores at the time were high 600- low 700's.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.