Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have the urge to apply for something

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have the urge to apply for something

Here's what I have: Chase Freedom, Discover IT, BOA BBR, AMEX BCE, Capital1 QS, Barclay Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+. Have pretty low spending so not looking for something with an AF (most likely). Is there anything I should apply for? maybe Discover Miles? Thanks.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: Have the urge to apply for something

If you live in a qualifying state (since only people in certain states are currently eligible to apply) and have excellent credit, I would recommend this card.  6.25% V APR on purchases and BT, unlimited 1.5% cash back on every $1 spent, and no AF.  Drawbacks are that it has no promo or bonus sign-up offers, and can be difficult to qualify for (i.e., even some posters on the forum with 800+ credit scores have reported not being approved when apping, for it.)  While a lot of people on the forum seem to love Sallie Mae, Discover IT, and certain other cards, this is the kind of card that really makes me personally very excited lol, and so I am kinda trying to mention it and give it a shout-out, whenever I can   Smiley Happy

https://www.firstnational.com/common/shared/amex/amex_march_landing.html?ecid=150204OMACRD0073PTMMS1...

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

You already have an excellent lineup, not sure if there's anything that would be an enhancement. 

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's what I have: Chase Freedom, Discover IT, BOA BBR, AMEX BCE, Capital1 QS, Barclay Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+. Have pretty low spending so not looking for something with an AF (most likely). Is there anything I should apply for? maybe Discover Miles? Thanks.

If you have a yearning to apply for a card, what are you looking for in your next card?  If it is not a neccessity then, hold off and save yourself a hardpull..

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try Huntington Voice.  No AF.  No foreign transaction fees.  Comes with Equifax FICO scores.   Each quarter, you can choose from one of many great categories to earn 3% cashback.  $150 sign-up bonus when you spend $1500 [I'm going to buy a vacation package with it and chose travel for my 3% category this quarter, will use it for utilities going forward].  Solid card. 

Message 5 of 23
red259
Super Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

If you live in a qualifying state (since only people in certain states are currently eligible to apply) and have excellent credit, I would recommend this card.  6.25% V APR on purchases and BT, unlimited 1.5% cash back on every $1 spent, and no AF.  Drawbacks are that it has no promo or bonus sign-up offers, and can be difficult to qualify for (i.e., even some posters on the forum with 800+ credit scores have reported not being approved when apping, for it.)  While a lot of people on the forum seem to love Sallie Mae, Discover IT, and certain other cards, this is the kind of card that really makes me personally very excited lol, and so I am kinda trying to mention it and give it a shout-out, whenever I can   Smiley Happy

https://www.firstnational.com/common/shared/amex/amex_march_landing.html?ecid=150204OMACRD0073PTMMS1...

Don't know much about this card, but looking it over I don't see the appeal. If I have a 800+ score I am not about to apply for some cashback card and have them reject me for whatever reason. There is a FTF on the card, which can limit its use for some people. You have to redeem in $25 increments. The points expire after three years of being issued (maybe this happens with other programs too, but if someone was saving up for a major redemption that could be annoying). As mentioned there is no signup offer. I could get 1.5 back with Cap 1 QS (and there are some other cards that give you 2cents back), so not sure why I would go with this.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 6 of 23
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:
Don't know much about this card, but looking it over I don't see the appeal. If I have a 800+ score I am not about to apply for some cashback card and have them reject me for whatever reason. There is a FTF on the card, which can limit its use for some people. You have to redeem in $25 increments. The points expire after three years of being issued (maybe this happens with other programs too, but if someone was saving up for a major redemption that could be annoying). As mentioned there is no signup offer. I could get 1.5 back with Cap 1 QS (and there are some other cards that give you 2cents back), so not sure why I would go with this.  

In MHO, the most beneficial thing about this card is the 6.25% APR for purchases and BT, plus it has the 1.5% cash back rewards on top of that.  Kinda hard for Cap1 or most other cards to beat the APR.  Could also be useful if someone needs to revolve a balance, for whatever reason, again due to the super-low APR.

ETA:  in my own case, I was personally approved for the card with a 649 EX score and 7 EX inquries.  Several other forum posters have also mentioned some successes, in being approved for the card, and who also some of which did not necessarily have 800+ scores.

Message 7 of 23
red259
Super Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

In MHO, the most beneficial thing about this card is the 6.25% APR for purchases and BT, plus it has the 1.5% cash back rewards on top of that.  Kinda hard for Cap1 or most other cards to beat the APR.  Could also be useful if someone needs to revolve a balance, for whatever reason, again due to the super-low APR.

I would hope if someone was looking to carry a balance they would be able to get a 0% APR offer. If someone is carrying a balance and paying an apr then that will pretty much negate any rewards. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 8 of 23
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

I would hope if someone was looking to carry a balance they would be able to get a 0% APR offer. If someone is carrying a balance and paying an apr then that will pretty much negate any rewards. 

True and agreed, but please remember that even the best 0% promo offer only lasts for so long, before most cards then enter into the double-digit, go-to APR range Smiley Happy   Versus potentially having one very low, long-term and single-digit APR.

Message 9 of 23
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't apply for something just to apply for it.

I think your lineup looks good, honestly.

If you don't feel your really need anything...and your spend is low...then don't apply.

If the temptation is too much just stay off the site for awhile is my recommendation.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.