Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you added an AU with poor credit?

tag
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Have you added an AU with poor credit?

I'm not looking for judgment or snark, but rather some constructive feedback and experience.

I occasionally help out a close relative when she is in need. I live in CA and she does not. My credit is excellent and hers is not. 

I'm thinking of adding her as an AU on one of my accounts. Could be easier than me calling Vendor X when she is in a jam and paying over the phone. My concern is not about her not paying me back--she always does. My concern is about whether any of my lenders (WF, Barclays, Citi, BofA, Amex, etc) will frown upon me adding her (with less than stellar history) as an AU. I'm willing to help her out but not at the expense of bringing bad attention to my trade lines.

Have you ever added an AU who had poor credit? 

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Have you added an AU with poor credit?

You wouldn't be bringing any attention to you. 99% of them don't pull credit for an AU. So go right ahead and do a good deed.

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I added my daught to a low-limit secured card I have. This keeps her spending in check but also keeps usage happening on a card I otherwise wouldn't be using (it's my oldest TL). The added benefit is that she gets to strengthen her own credit while not having the hassle of contacting me to set up a bank transfer.

Maybe something like that would work for you?
Message 3 of 25
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Yes and jenny! That is some good thinking!

Message 4 of 25
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

You can also add her and don't physically give her the cc.
Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kutuzov wrote:

I think you might have missed why he wants to add her as an AU

Message 6 of 25
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@Kutuzov wrote:

Well my goal is for her to have a physical card available to her so that she can use it for emergencies.

Message 7 of 25
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I've added several close relatives with not so good credit. They all have benefited from being AU's on some of my accounts with no adverse affect to my credit. The older accounts really give them a boost! Only the closes have actual cards. The rest are in my night stand.  There's probably 10 CC's in my night stand. None of them with my name on them. lol

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are a really awesome friend! I don't have my credit card, yet so I'm not sure how AUs work, but is there a way to set up a limit on how much they can spend? Maybe that would also give you some peace of mind. Just an idea of course. I know that your friend is very lucky to have someone like you in her life. You are in a position where you can provide her with the advice and strength that she needs to better her own situation. That's wonderful! Best of luck to you both!
Message 9 of 25
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You are a really awesome friend! I don't have my credit card, yet so I'm not sure how AUs work, but is there a way to set up a limit on how much they can spend? Maybe that would also give you some peace of mind. Just an idea of course. I know that your friend is very lucky to have someone like you in her life. You are in a position where you can provide her with the advice and strength that she needs to better her own situation. That's wonderful! Best of luck to you both!

Thanks! I appreciate your words.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.