cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you decided not to apply because of an ugly card???

tag
Volpes
Regular Contributor

Re: Have you decided not to apply because of an ugly card???

lol...

I have one of these:

Message 21 of 61
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@enharu wrote:

I'm not one who would apply for a card just because it looks nice, but I may stay away from a card that looks exceptionally ugly however, unless the rewards / sign-up bonus are THAT compelling for me to want to ignore its appearance.

One good example: https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/american-express-cards

I would be very hesitant about using this card in front of business partners purely just to avoid weird looks from them. I can easily get 3CCP out of each UR, so even a 1UR per dollar purchase on my CSP will still net me more value than a 2% cashback card in general. Otherwise, the 2% cashback for everything is a nice touch.

LOL... now that's funny enharu.  I've used this one many a times and I've yet to see anyone's face go aghast just from its pure looks - even with business clients.  But I guess it all depends on the business, the clients and location...

I agree!  I use the card all the time, no reaction from anyone.   It's merely a strange color, not a particularly offensive design.  Now if, as enharu states, ou can get  better rewards  elsewhere, then certainly no need to consider.  But appearance comes absolutely nowhere in my selection criteria.   And if people are put off by the appearance of my card, then they probably would be put off by many other aspects of me (the poisonous green drool that drips from my mouth for example, same color as the card come to think of it!)

Message 22 of 61
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@enharu wrote:

I'm not one who would apply for a card just because it looks nice, but I may stay away from a card that looks exceptionally ugly however, unless the rewards / sign-up bonus are THAT compelling for me to want to ignore its appearance.

One good example: https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/american-express-cards

I would be very hesitant about using this card in front of business partners purely just to avoid weird looks from them. I can easily get 3CCP out of each UR, so even a 1UR per dollar purchase on my CSP will still net me more value than a 2% cashback card in general. Otherwise, the 2% cashback for everything is a nice touch.

LOL... now that's funny enharu.  I've used this one many a times and I've yet to see anyone's face go aghast just from its pure looks - even with business clients.  But I guess it all depends on the business, the clients and location...

I agree!  I use the card all the time, no reaction from anyone.   It's merely a strange color, not a particularly offensive design.  Now if, as enharu states, ou can get  better rewards  elsewhere, then certainly no need to consider.  But appearance comes absolutely nowhere in my selection criteria.   And if people are put off by the appearance of my card, then they probably would be put off by many other aspects of me (the poisonous green drool that drips from my mouth for example, same color as the card come to think of it!)

+1

LMAO!!!

Message 23 of 61
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Sadly, I can say yes. The Fidelity Amex just makes my eyes bleed. It's sad that I am being so vain over how a cc looks. Smiley Sad
Message 24 of 61
negg
Frequent Contributor

Classic example of cool looking card with crappy benefits, look no further then citi diamond preferred card.
CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 25 of 61
JonStur
Established Contributor

@negg wrote:
Classic example of cool looking card with crappy benefits, look no further then citi diamond preferred card.

I know...it's a slick lookin card, all style no substance...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 26 of 61
awiser
Regular Contributor

My Cap One Quicksilver isn't necessarily ugly, as much as it just looks cheap. Cashiers often do a double-take because it looks fake. I still use the heck out of it, though, because it's putting 1.5% cash back into my wallet.

Message 27 of 61
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:
Sadly, I can say yes. The Fidelity Amex just makes my eyes bleed. It's sad that I am being so vain over how a cc looks. Smiley Sad

LOL... really?  Ok, let's see...  Robot LOL

Message 28 of 61
credit-n-motion

I am three years late to this topic/question. And without a doubt I still covet the Continental One Pass Master Card... . Its simplistic beauty is second to none, in my opinion..United has still, so far, never captured the Beauty of this Card Design... So sad to see it and its Founding Company, Continental Airlines, go away..Cheers

Message 29 of 61
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

Since you and the DH are current CPC members... maybe you might also like the FIA Fidelity PC AMEX to diversify your portfolio... easier on the eyes Lexie ...lol Robot tongue

Message 30 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.