cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you decided not to apply because of an ugly card???

tag
JonStur
Established Contributor

Have you decided not to apply because of an ugly card???

BOA has always mailbox bombed me to get their Cash Rewards Card with the 3% 2% 1% structure.. I could never pull the trigger because I thought the card was just plain ugly. Has anyone else ever decided not to pull the trigger because a card is ugly ( yea I know it's vain but what's life without a little vanity). Or coveted a card because of its looks?? I really wanted an AMEX clear but never got one..

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60
elvigy
Contributor

Re: Have you decided not to apply because of an ugly card???

I really want the CSP just because of the way it looks plus it's metal. But its really not the Best travel card for me so I'm going with the Barclays arrival card even though I think its ugly. Oh well. It was a real temptatIon to get the CSP just for the looks lol.

Amex BCP | Barclaycard Arrival WMC | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature | Discover IT
Message 2 of 61
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

Nope. I think the walmart discover card is ugly, but still rewards > looks. (The rewards in this case is the free TU fico.) However, people will pay more attention to something that looks great so its to the lender's benefit to create an appealing look.

While we're on the topic, there was a thread about a duck card. I was fully expecting a duck picture to be plastered onto the duck card, but it was just a plain "O". I don't know what else to say lol

Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 3 of 61
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

No, the credit card's looks wouldn't prevent me from applying.

In the case of the BOA 3-2-1 card(s), I wouldn't apply because its just not a very good cash back card. The Sallie Mae World Mastercard beats it hands down (5% gas, 5% grocery, 5% bookstores), and if I couldn't get the Sallie Mae, then there are plenty of other cards available that are much better in each category (better gas cards, better grocery cards).

http://boardingarea.com/frequentmiler/2012/11/09/best-category-bonuses/

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 4 of 61
missjae
Established Contributor

I haven't, but I have thought twice before I applied. Then I reminded myself that it's just a credit card and not that big of a deal.
Message 5 of 61
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Obviously rationally it makes no sense, but as someone pointed out in a similar thread, it must have some impact otherwise issuers wouldn't put effort into it.   But once you have the card, how much time do you spend looking at it?  (And if the answer is greater than X, seek professional help, for some value of X!) 

Hopefully, if you are interested enough to be part of the forum, you will know to pay more attention to rewards/APR/bonus than to appearance.  Though the "CSP because it's metal" threads suggest otherwise....

Message 6 of 61
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I think most of BOAs own cards are ugly. Some the cobranded ones are attractive.
I like the Black Amex one :-D
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 61
Volpes
Regular Contributor

I'm slightly guilty. I recently choose Alliant CU over DCU because of their debit card designs. Although I admit, if I felt like DCU offered a significantly better product/service then it would have been an easier choice - I would have chosen DCU.
Message 8 of 61
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

Obviously rationally it makes no sense, but as someone pointed out in a similar thread, it must have some impact otherwise issuers wouldn't put effort into it.   But once you have the card, how much time do you spend looking at it?  (And if the answer is greater than X, seek professional help, for some value of X!) 

Hopefully, if you are interested enough to be part of the forum, you will know to pay more attention to rewards/APR/bonus than to appearance.  Though the "CSP because it's metal" threads suggest otherwise....

+1

Message 9 of 61
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@JonStur wrote:

BOA has always mailbox bombed me to get their Cash Rewards Card with the 3% 2% 1% structure.. I could never pull the trigger because I thought the card was just plain ugly. Has anyone else ever decided not to pull the trigger because a card is ugly ( yea I know it's vain but what's life without a little vanity). Or coveted a card because of its looks?? I really wanted an AMEX clear but never got one..

Consciously or subconsciously, I think a card's aesthetics do have an influence on what cards we apply for.   Yes, there are aesthetically pleasing cards out there, that also seem to be popular for their benefits as well.  And there are some b-ugly cards out there that also have just as good benefits, but not as popular.  There's been lots of experiments on the aethetics of the world, how it influences our decisions on making a choice, whether it comes to choosing a pleasing card, an attractive automobile, an attractive mate, or an attractive employee, all other things being equal. 

Shallow?  Yup, probably.  But it's also human nature to an extent. 

Message 10 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.