Established Contributor
JonStur

Have you decided not to apply because of an ugly card???

BOA has always mailbox bombed me to get their Cash Rewards Card with the 3% 2% 1% structure.. I could never pull the trigger because I thought the card was just plain ugly. Has anyone else ever decided not to pull the trigger because a card is ugly ( yea I know it's vain but what's life without a little vanity). Or coveted a card because of its looks?? I really wanted an AMEX clear but never got one..

Starting Score: TU 686 EX 641 EQ 690
Current Score: TU 779 EX 767 EQ 740
Goal Score: 800 Club

BCE $12.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Wally Discover 10K, Cash+ $9K Sam's Discover 10K, Freedom $6K, Zales $5.5K, More $5K, Cap one $5K, Barclay 2.5K, Household Plat $1.5K, Household Gold $1.5K, Credit One $1K, First Premier Plat $.675K First Premier Gold $.65K
Contributor
elvigy

Re: Have you decided not to apply because of an ugly card???

I really want the CSP just because of the way it looks plus it's metal. But its really not the Best travel card for me so I'm going with the Barclays arrival card even though I think its ugly. Oh well. It was a real temptatIon to get the CSP just for the looks lol.

Amex BCP | Barclaycard Arrival WMC | Chase Slate | Discover IT
Frequent Contributor
Laugh

Nope. I think the walmart discover card is ugly, but still rewards > looks. (The rewards in this case is the free TU fico.) However, people will pay more attention to something that looks great so its to the lender's benefit to create an appealing look.

While we're on the topic, there was a thread about a duck card. I was fully expecting a duck picture to be plastered onto the duck card, but it was just a plain "O". I don't know what else to say lol

Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Valued Contributor
Themanwhocan

No, the credit card's looks wouldn't prevent me from applying.

In the case of the BOA 3-2-1 card(s), I wouldn't apply because its just not a very good cash back card. The Sallie Mae World Mastercard beats it hands down (5% gas, 5% grocery, 5% bookstores), and if I couldn't get the Sallie Mae, then there are plenty of other cards available that are much better in each category (better gas cards, better grocery cards).

http://boardingarea.com/frequentmiler/2012/11/09/best-category-bonuses/

Established Contributor
missjae

I haven't, but I have thought twice before I applied. Then I reminded myself that it's just a credit card and not that big of a deal.
Super Contributor
longtimelurker

Obviously rationally it makes no sense, but as someone pointed out in a similar thread, it must have some impact otherwise issuers wouldn't put effort into it.   But once you have the card, how much time do you spend looking at it?  (And if the answer is greater than X, seek professional help, for some value of X!) 

Hopefully, if you are interested enough to be part of the forum, you will know to pay more attention to rewards/APR/bonus than to appearance.  Though the "CSP because it's metal" threads suggest otherwise....

Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy

I think most of BOAs own cards are ugly. Some the cobranded ones are attractive.
I like the Black Amex one :-D
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Regular Contributor
Volpes

I'm slightly guilty. I recently choose Alliant CU over DCU because of their debit card designs. Although I admit, if I felt like DCU offered a significantly better product/service then it would have been an easier choice - I would have chosen DCU.
Valued Contributor
FinStar

longtimelurker wrote:

Obviously rationally it makes no sense, but as someone pointed out in a similar thread, it must have some impact otherwise issuers wouldn't put effort into it.   But once you have the card, how much time do you spend looking at it?  (And if the answer is greater than X, seek professional help, for some value of X!) 

Hopefully, if you are interested enough to be part of the forum, you will know to pay more attention to rewards/APR/bonus than to appearance.  Though the "CSP because it's metal" threads suggest otherwise....

+1

Valued Contributor
thom02099

JonStur wrote:

BOA has always mailbox bombed me to get their Cash Rewards Card with the 3% 2% 1% structure.. I could never pull the trigger because I thought the card was just plain ugly. Has anyone else ever decided not to pull the trigger because a card is ugly ( yea I know it's vain but what's life without a little vanity). Or coveted a card because of its looks?? I really wanted an AMEX clear but never got one..

Consciously or subconsciously, I think a card's aesthetics do have an influence on what cards we apply for.   Yes, there are aesthetically pleasing cards out there, that also seem to be popular for their benefits as well.  And there are some b-ugly cards out there that also have just as good benefits, but not as popular.  There's been lots of experiments on the aethetics of the world, how it influences our decisions on making a choice, whether it comes to choosing a pleasing card, an attractive automobile, an attractive mate, or an attractive employee, all other things being equal. 

Shallow?  Yup, probably.  But it's also human nature to an extent. 

Diners Club Premier MasterCard $50K / AMEX Gold NPSL / AMEX Zync NPSL / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $14K / Bank of America Cash Rewards Signature Visa $15K / Merrill Lynch Plus Signature Visa $15K / Wells Fargo Propel 365 $15K / Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa $10K / J P Morgan Select Signature Visa $10K / Chase Slate Visa $6K / CITI Diamond Preferred MasterCard $13.2K / Discover IT $10.5K / IberiaBank Select Visa $8K / 1st Command Bank Platinum Visa $7.5K // Home Depot $9.7K / Lowes $10K

EX = 799 EQ = 812 TU = 811 - 11/2014

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}