Did you mean: 

Haven't had credit in a while, have secured loan + cc, need advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haven't had credit in a while, have secured loan + cc, need advice

How important is credit history?

My Fico scores are: 659/679/669

Also my TransUnion credit score = 708 and my Equifax is 704 (from Credit Karma)

I have a secured loan for $46k I took out in April with $23k left, I caught a glance of a thread that I should pay this down to 9% and leave the line open for 4-5 years which I will do, can I pay it down to 9% immediately to reduce interest?

I also have a $1k secured credit card I just using last month.  Is it ok to make payments within a few days of each purchase, or is it better to leave a balance on the card for a set number of days and pay it right before the due date?  Is there a rule of thumb for how much of the $1k I should use each month (i.e. 90%, 50% etc..)

Which cards should I consider applying for, I am ok applying for just 1 to start, pick me a winner.

Lastly am I safe to start applying for non-secured credit cards given my score without risk of getting inquiries on my record or should I wait a few more months?  If so how many months is the rule of thumb?

1 REPLY 1
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Haven't had credit in a while, have secured loan + cc, need advice

@Anonymous wrote:

How important is credit history?

My Fico scores are: 659/679/669

Also my TransUnion credit score = 708 and my Equifax is 704 (from Credit Karma)

I have a secured loan for $46k I took out in April with $23k left, I caught a glance of a thread that I should pay this down to 9% and leave the line open for 4-5 years which I will do, can I pay it down to 9% immediately to reduce interest?

Yes you can. Not only will you save interest, you'll improve your score.

I also have a $1k secured credit card I just using last month.  Is it ok to make payments within a few days of each purchase,

Yes it's ok

or is it better to leave a balance on the card for a set number of days and pay it right before the due date?  Is there a rule of thumb for how much of the $1k I should use each month (i.e. 90%, 50% etc..)

Alternate between reporting zero percent one month and something greater than zero but less than 10 percent the next month, & see which gives you the best score.

Which cards should I consider applying for, I am ok applying for just 1 to start, pick me a winner.

I would start with Barclay Rewards or Capital One Platinum. The only problem with Capital One is that it pulls all 3 bureaus. Barclay usually pulls just TU.

Lastly am I safe to start applying for non-secured credit cards given my score without risk of getting inquiries on my record or should I wait a few more months?  If so how many months is the rule of thumb?

Of course you'll get an inquiry when you apply. But I think it's worth it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.