Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having a hard time getting CLI's now...

tag
Jesi
New Contributor

Having a hard time getting CLI's now...

I never really had a hard time with strange answers on why I can't have CLI's with Synchrony and Comenity. It was either yes or no with legitimate reasons. Now one I keep getting is No - Due to Inactivity. It's true on a couple cards I have, but they have such low limits they are useless. How can I spend so little at a store where everything is expensive, generally more than the limit? Seems silly. Secondly, I have a card or two that won't give me a CLI due to "inactivity" but, I AM actually using it. I put a very small balance on it, leave it for a couple weeks and then pay it off. Obviously it's being used so does anyone know why they are saying this? I've called Credit Solutions and they are basically useless on the matter. They just say there isn't anything they can do and just request another increase at a later time.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Having a hard time getting CLI's now...

@Jesi wrote:

I never really had a hard time with strange answers on why I can't have CLI's with Synchrony and Comenity. It was either yes or no with legitimate reasons. Now one I keep getting is No - Due to Inactivity. It's true on a couple cards I have, but they have such low limits they are useless. How can I spend so little at a store where everything is expensive, generally more than the limit? Seems silly. Secondly, I have a card or two that won't give me a CLI due to "inactivity" but, I AM actually using it. I put a very small balance on it, leave it for a couple weeks and then pay it off. Obviously it's being used so does anyone know why they are saying this? I've called Credit Solutions and they are basically useless on the matter. They just say there isn't anything they can do and just request another increase at a later time.

What are your 3 scores, inquiries, utilization, and where is this info from?

Capital One Quicksilver One $700 - Capital Quicksilver $1,100 request increases on both of these, if denied, then combine into the no AF QS and use it a lot

- Marvel MasterCard $6,000 (15.24% APR) seems fine to me

- Amazon $5,000  seems fine to me

- American Eagle Outfitters $3,500 - Athleta $5,000 - Banana Republic $5,000 - Buckle $250 -(close this unless u use the rewards)

Care Credit $5,000  seems fine to me (sucks that its usually HP for CLI)

- The Children's Place $200 (close this)

- Express $250 (close this)

- Gap $5,000 seems fine to me

- Kohl's $300 (has lots of good offers, should grow with use)

J. Crew $450 (do you get rewards with this? Cant this get upgraded to a visa/mc?

JC Penney $4,000 looks fine to me

NY&CO $250 close this

- Old Navy $5,000 looks good

- Overstock.com $2,000 -is this a visa/mc?

PayPal Smart Connect $3,500 good one

- Pier One Imports Rewards $350 (do you want special financing here? if so then keep it

QVC - $3,500 -seems fine to me

TJ Maxx $2,000 -V

ictoria's Secret $150 close it

Walmart $3,500 possibly keep

I see lots and lots of store cards here.  Idealy you would have a lot less store cards and a few more major credit cards.  IF your scores are in the low to mid 600s then this profile looks about right.  Definitely don't want balances reporting on multiple cards, I would only let a balance report on the quicksilver.  Once you trim the fat and get your profile improfed you should be able to have some of the better rewards cards.

Message 2 of 6
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

I counted 24 credit card accounts, with the majority being store cards. Personally, I wouldn't waste any time trying to make those low limit cards grow. Like JFriend said In his detailed post, close them. 

Having that many store cards can be counter productive. Trim the fat!!

Best credit wishes to you!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 3 of 6
baller4life
Super Contributor

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

I counted 24 credit card accounts, with the majority being store cards. Personally, I wouldn't waste any time trying to make those low limit cards grow. Like JFriend said In his detailed post, close them. 

Having that many store cards can be counter productive. Trim the fat!!

Best credit wishes to you!

+1. I would advise replacing some of those store cards with bank cards. You don't want your portfolio overloaded with mostly store cards.

Message 4 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Agreed with above posters. Many of the ones where you have 3-5k can and will grow eventually as your score goes up, i should know in my Wally world finally broke the 6k barrier and it hasnt broke 700 yet so as your profile improves so will their trust in youSmiley Happy. Some of the store cards certainly can be closed but again only you can make that decisionSmiley Wink You got a really good Apr on the Marvel and that you can use in many of the stores you shop to show more usageSmiley Happy. Best of luck and thanks for sharingSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for a Amazon Store card about 6 months back and got approved from Syn bank for $1000, I started doing purchases and one time I got confused and paid twice and it went to a negative balance of about $-200 at which they increased my CLI to $1600. I just went through this forum and then went online, did an online chat and was provided with a reference number. I requested a CLI  to $10,000. I called the number with the rerefernce numbe and then was put in brief hold, came back and said, I'm sorry I can't CLI to the amount requested but I can do $3500 and asked if that's ok. I said sure and just like that got an increase.

Thought I'd share.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.