cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having an account with a bank, better chances for a CC?

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Having an account with a bank, better chances for a CC?

I think the checking side and the credit side of any company tends to be different. However they can soft you and 'sell' your info to their credit dept.

I have a good sum with BOA and it still doesnt help me with them Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

It certainly can't hurt, but it isn't going to make the difference if you're credit history and internal risk score doesn't fit what they're looking for in an applicant.

Also, all things being equal, I like to avoid borrowing from where I save.  I have a cc with my bank, but use it very sparingly.  I prefer my creditors to have no direct access to any of my funds.  

Message 12 of 14
mokong
Regular Contributor

agreed.

Message 13 of 14
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

It really depends on the bank. USAA has told me that, while it certainly doesn't guarantee approval, having a bank acct with them *does* improve your chances of approval. Probably if you're on the cusp, it will help, but not if you aren't even close to being approved. My CU also told me the same thing.

On the other hand, my bank, where I've done all my banking for the last 5 or so years, did NOT help me to get a CC. But their CC decisions aren't made by them; they're made by Elan, the company that administers their CCs. That really irked me, because it's a small, local bank, and I spent years building a relationship with them for nothing. The bank wouldn't override the decision made by Elan, who are the underwriters.

So, in some cases, yes, and in some cases, no.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.