cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having an account with a bank, better chances for a CC?

tag
jo75olds
New Contributor

Having an account with a bank, better chances for a CC?

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but does having a active bank account with a bank in prove your chances for getting a credit card with said bank??

Like if I have a Checking account at Chase, with $10,000 would my chances of getting a card via chase be better, then through Citi???

I ask because my first Bank Credit Card was via Capital One, when I had an account there, instant approval (First Credit Card ever btw), now I have my accounts at Chase, and I got instant approval for there bank card a few months back. These are the only 2 Bank Cards I have ever gotten instant approved for, so I was just wondering

Thanks,

Jim

Starting Score: EQ: 632, TU: 715, EX: 700
Current Score: EQ: 684, TU: 684, EX: 696
Goal Score: 825+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

Re: Having an account with a bank, better chances for a CC?

It's certainly possible, as I have read stories that some take that into consideration. In my own case, my bank was sending me at least one US mail a month inviting me to apply for their card for many months before I finally did. I was immediately approved and it's my highest limit card. So, yes I think in some cases it certainly does.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jo75olds wrote:

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but does having a active bank account with a bank in prove your chances for getting a credit card with said bank??

Like if I have a Checking account at Chase, with $10,000 would my chances of getting a card via chase be better, then through Citi???

I ask because my first Bank Credit Card was via Capital One, when I had an account there, instant approval (First Credit Card ever btw), now I have my accounts at Chase, and I got instant approval for there bank card a few months back. These are the only 2 Bank Cards I have ever gotten instant approved for, so I was just wondering

Thanks,

Jim

This is a YMMV (your mileage may vary) kind of thing.  It depends if you already have a FICO® score to begin with! 

My husband and I have had an account with Chase for over 20 years, with a whole lot more on deposit with them than the amount that you mentioned.  We asked a lot of questions before filling out the application in the bank for the Chase Freedom card but, it was NEVER explained to us that we needed a FICO® score.  Consequently, we were denied.  THEN, we were told we neeeded a FICO score and two (2) full years of credit history.  Nothing was ever explained to us about "how" to accomplish this though, and obviously, having a long-standing well-funded account with them made no difference at all. 

So, in my experience, there's no concrete answer to your question. 

Message 3 of 14
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jo75olds wrote:

Thanks,

Jim

This is a YMMV (your mileage may vary) kind of thing.  It depends if you already have a FICO® score to begin with! 

My husband and I have had an account with Chase for over 20 years, with a whole lot more on deposit with them than the amount that you mentioned.  We asked a lot of questions before filling out the application in the bank for the Chase Freedom card but, it was NEVER explained to us that we needed a FICO® score.  Consequently, we were denied.  THEN, we were told we neeeded a FICO score and two (2) full years of credit history.  Nothing was ever explained to us about "how" to accomplish this though, and obviously, having a long-standing well-funded account with them made no difference at all. 

So, in my experience, there's no concrete answer to your question. 

See that is where I believe banks do their customers a dis-service. Why on earth they couldn't have told you they required you have a credit history of a certain length before they would approve you is TOTALLY beyond me, I mean what is it some kind of state secret or something? Instead they let you burn an inquiry that was totally wasted when they COULD have just told you flat out that due to that requirement you had no chance for approval. How that makes ANY sense I will never understand for the life of me.

If it were me I would let them know my feelings on the subject by voting with my feet. I just think that is a rotten thing to do to your customers to be honest.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 4 of 14
CS800
Super Contributor

While it might help about 90% of the weight will be through your credit report and how it talks to them. Example BOA makes it clear that their checking and credit products are handled by two different department and they don't mix and match.

You would have better luck with a CU than with the big banks; BOA, Chase, CITI etc

Message 5 of 14
jla84
Regular Contributor

I applied for Chase's Amtrak Guest Rewards card last summer and was denied. Had been banking with them since about February of that year, although I didn't have a substantial amount in my checking + savings. 

Starting Score (07/2011): EQ 706 TU 709
Current Score (6/2013): EQ 740 TU 732 EX 740
Goal Score: 750+ on all 3

Message 6 of 14
john398
Senior Contributor

@jla84 wrote:

I applied for Chase's Amtrak Guest Rewards card last summer and was denied. Had been banking with them since about February of that year, although I didn't have a substantial amount in my checking + savings. 

Just curious did you call and plead your case ? Although that isnt much time I guess

Anyway I was approved for a Chase Freedom, have banked with them since they converted my account from WAMU and I belive my score was around 689  7 months ago when I was approved

Message 7 of 14
learnin113
Established Contributor

Not with Chase.  Ask me how I know? Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LilloEsquilo wrote:

If it were me I would let them know my feelings on the subject by voting with my feet.

We have considered doing exactly that, believe me!  After we have their "requirement" fulfilled and have the two (2) full years of positive credit history under our belts, we intend to go back and try again and app for the Chase Freedom, and then down the line, the Chase Sapphire Preferred.  If they decline us for the Chase Freedom after meeting every requirement they asked for, that will be the end of our long-time relationship. 

As I've said before, we like their credit products but, other things about Chase -- not so much. 

Message 9 of 14
jla84
Regular Contributor

@john398 wrote:

@jla84 wrote:

Just curious did you call and plead your case ? Although that isnt much time I guess

Yes, I called to recon and the lady was very nice, but I think it was just too soon after the 30 day late payment on a Chase card that was closed by them (applied for the Rewards card 6 months after the 30 day late; 1 year after the bank closed my card due to high balance). I had just started visiting the MyFICO forums and knew enough to try to recon but not enough to know how dumb it was to try for a very prime card so soon after burning them. Smiley Wink

Starting Score (07/2011): EQ 706 TU 709
Current Score (6/2013): EQ 740 TU 732 EX 740
Goal Score: 750+ on all 3

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.