Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble applying for AMEX revolver

tag
ssdc1980
New Contributor

Having trouble applying for AMEX revolver

After reading a couple post about Amex cards, a few people stated that apping for a second Amex card would be a soft pull, unless you were approved then it would be a hard pull. I currently have the Zync card and was looking to add another Amex (preferably a revolver).

I first apped for Amex BCE but when I entered my CID number and submitted my app all I saw was the pondering blue circle........for 20 minutes until it finally timed out. At that time I thought maybe the website was having problems so I waited a couple days and then tried again, this time apping for Delta Skymiles and........same thing the little blue wheel of deep thought for 20 minutes until it timed out again.

My account shows no pending apps so I guess they never went through. I've been considering calling and apping over the phone but I wasn't sure if it would still be a soft pull if denied. So my questions are:  Has anyone experienced this? What did you do?

Thanks for the help

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: Having trouble applying for AMEX revolver

Have you check the status of apps on amex's site? I got an error after i submitted my app but went to check status and was there.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 2 of 38
slarano
Frequent Contributor

You could try using a different web browser. 

ImageImageImage

Message 3 of 38
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

Their website has been having some issues latetly. What I would do is log out of your account, and then go and apply by entering your full account number and CID. That's what i did and it worked for me. 

Scores: EX: 793 EQ: 804 TU: 801
Message 4 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely try another browser because I was having the same issues and I had to use Safari to get the application to go through. Internet Explorer 8, Firefox and Chrome did not work for me.

Message 5 of 38
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hello!  

I'd first check this link:https://www262.americanexpress.com/eaol/welcome.do

If there are no active apps showing or an approval/denial, then app again but this time not as a existing Amex cardmember.  Don't worry, it will still be a SP if denied.  For some reason, apping as an existing cardmember has been hit or miss.  I had to app through the regular app process to get my app to go through.  I was approved but Amex becomes immediately aware because of your ss# that you are an exisiting cardmember during the app process.  Good Luck!  

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 6 of 38
jla84
Regular Contributor

This happened to me a few months back, even after using all browsers I had access to (Chrome, IE, and Safari). I finally just decided that it was a message from the credit gods telling me to wait to app for the BCE until I get all my credit ducks in a row. Smiley Happy I'm going to try apping on the phone when the time is right. Pretty sure it'll still be a soft since I already have a Zync, but I can't tell you for sure. 

Starting Score (07/2011): EQ 706 TU 709
Current Score (6/2013): EQ 740 TU 732 EX 740
Goal Score: 750+ on all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 38
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@jla84 wrote:

This happened to me a few months back, even after using all browsers I had access to (Chrome, IE, and Safari). I finally just decided that it was a message from the credit gods telling me to wait to app for the BCE until I get all my credit ducks in a row. Smiley Happy I'm going to try apping on the phone when the time is right. Pretty sure it'll still be a soft since I already have a Zync, but I can't tell you for sure. 

Smiley Very Happy

Very happy it did that to me, I went for it when I got in with PSECU/Chase. More than likely would have been denied.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 38
ssdc1980
New Contributor

The good news is I finally got the application to go through by applying as a non amex member like improvingmycredit suggested. The bad news is I was shot down. There sending me a letter stating why, should be here in a week or two. Oh well, even though a denial is genuinely unpleasant it does give me some added inspiration to continue my rebuilding efforts, so back to the garden I go....until the next time amex revolver....

Message 9 of 38
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@ssdc1980 wrote:

The good news is I finally got the application to go through by applying as a non amex member like improvingmycredit suggested. The bad news is I was shot down. There sending me a letter stating why, should be here in a week or two. Oh well, even though a denial is genuinely unpleasant it does give me some added inspiration to continue my rebuilding efforts, so back to the garden I go....until the next time amex revolver....

I'm sorry that you were denied.  I was really hoping that you'd get the approval.  Which card did you app?  The BCE or Delta?  Just an FYI, the co-branded cards tend to be a little more relaxed in their approval requirements then the Amex sponsored revolvers.  The good news is you will get your EX FICO so you will know where you stand for an approval later this year.  

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.