cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble closing Orchard Bank acct.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having trouble closing Orchard Bank acct.

So, I've had this Orchard Bank card for about 4 years now and I've decided to close it before the $59 dollar annual fee kicks in. I had to call them 3 times (the first 2 calls were mysteriously disconnected after waiting on hold for 15-30 minutes) to get them to say they closed it, but I'm not sure if the really did, because When I checked online, the account appears to be open still. Does anyone have any experience with closing an Orchard Bank card? How long does it usually take before it shows as closed online?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Having trouble closing Orchard Bank acct.

It's been 4 years myself, but, IIRC, it didn't show closed online for about 1-2 months following my call to them. IIRC, I called, they sent me to their account detention guys who said how great their card is and offered a rate discount or AF rebate or something like that. After saying no, they said "OK" and abruptly terminated the call. Just check your CR after it updates next to see what the deal is.

And some cards operate that way. I closed DW's Credit One if Feb. or Mar. and as of today, I can still log in online and it shows the below, despite reporting as closed on her CR.

CreditOne.jpg

By all indication it appears open, but it isn't.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, Thanks llecs. That's a huge relief. I really didn't want to talk to those "account detention guys" again. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

This has been my experience as well, except that I haven't managed to actually talk to anybody. I always end up disconnected after sitting on hold for 30+ minutes. (I've timed it.)

I have a second orchard card with a $500 limit, $0 balance, and i've had it for a little over a year. It won't affect my utilization any, and I'd like to close it - but I just cannot get anybody on the phone!

Message 4 of 8
boomersooner02000
Valued Member

I closed mine in early Feb '12 and it showed online for me instantly.

Message 5 of 8
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

I closed mine in January and it showed as closed online as well that day. It still shows as open on my CR, which I hear takes awhile to update.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 6 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, Thanks llecs. That's a huge relief. I really didn't want to talk to those "account detention guys" again. 

Doh! Account retention..........well, it might as well be an account detention guy too, right?

Message 7 of 8
mindacid
Valued Member

If it shows still open online I wouldn't trust that it was actually closed.  You might want to also just call their automated customer service phone number and see what your available credit is.  I would presume it should say "zero" if your account is actually closed.  I would also persistently call until you get a hold of someone to confirm that it's closed, otherwise you're setting yourself up for something going wrong and potentially costing you a credit ding.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.