Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble paying Amex...

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Having trouble paying Amex...

K so I've seen others post about this. Having trouble paying Amex... Is it because I've already paid my minimum due? Statement due date is the 23rd, I paid on the 16th. I wanted to pay again since I'm traveling and I was knocking on the door of the 2k internal limit I knew I had. Anyways, I could Not get a payment to work, it said that the amount I wanted to pay was invalid because it was more than the $0 that was due. So bizarre.

Anyways, I plan on calling them when I get home, in the meantime I used my check spending button and tried it for 3k and it passed approval for a 3k spending. So I can keep going til I get home without worrying about declines. For the people who had this problem before, did it clear up after your statement cycle restarted?
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Guava
Established Contributor

Re: Having trouble paying Amex...

If your bank has online banking, you can use it to "push" payment from your checking account, instead of "pulling" paying from your checking using AMEX website

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
K so I've seen others post about this. Having trouble paying Amex... Is it because I've already paid my minimum due? Statement due date is the 23rd, I paid on the 16th. I wanted to pay again since I'm traveling and I was knocking on the door of the 2k internal limit I knew I had. Anyways, I could Not get a payment to work, it said that the amount I wanted to pay was invalid because it was more than the $0 that was due. So bizarre.

Anyways, I plan on calling them when I get home, in the meantime I used my check spending button and tried it for 3k and it passed approval for a 3k spending. So I can keep going til I get home without worrying about declines. For the people who had this problem before, did it clear up after your statement cycle restarted?

Were your charges either posted or pending? Because I pay posted plus pending for Blue and I have never had a problem.  

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 3 of 10
gallifrey
Valued Member

If its a new account you cannot make multiple payments until 30 days after setting up a checking account to bill pay your card. I called them last night Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 10
pakman92
Established Contributor

Was it a credit or charge card?  i did the exact same thing today (statement date 3/23).  i wanted to pay off before the balance reported.  a few charges had appeared from last couple days. i had paid three days ago in full.  i had no problem.  it was a charge card.  Gold

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 5 of 10
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@gallifrey wrote:
If its a new account you cannot make multiple payments until 30 days after setting up a checking account to bill pay your card. I called them last night Smiley Happy

Correct.  Furthermore, they put this same restriction in place when you change the checking account you have on file with them.  It's a pain if you switch banks often.  As othes have suggested, there is always the option of pushing a payment from the bank, though.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My accounts have never had this restriction. They've been happy totake my money from day 1. And I've been happy not to have them questioning a high balance lol.
Message 7 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@gallifrey wrote:

Well that sucks. I'll have to get used to that.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 10
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I still can't make multiple payments and it gets a little frustrating. I generally push the payments through.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I was able to pay this morning Smiley Happy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.