Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headcount - NFCU roommate clause

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Headcount - NFCU roommate clause

Curious how many other people have used the roommate clause to gain access to NFCU? And if you did, what credit products did you get?

I recruited roommate and got him to join NFCU and used roommate provision to get in. I've now helped sister and brother join. I have 25k NFCU Flagship, 14k consolidation loan and 10k LOC. NFCU has been good to me.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Headcount - NFCU roommate clause

Didn't use this as my way in. But I have seen that this route is the most scrutinized. I'm sure many have tried this way in that weren't really "roommates." Do you both have the same address listed on license? And each have a bill in your name? Both on lease? Just make sure all your ducks are in a row in case they request docs? Also don't put all your cash in upfront because there is an increased likelihood that security will freeze your accts while verifying your eligibility. Good luck.
Message 2 of 7
wineman
Established Member

I was eligible to join because my sister is a member (her DH is retired Navy). I was able to get my roommate to join using the roommate clause. We have been roommates for several years and both have documents listing the same address. Roomie has checking, savings, and cash rewards visa. I have Checking, Savings, CD, Cash Rewards Visa siggy, Flagship Rewards, NavCheck, and I just refinanced my mortgage with NFCU. It is the best banking relationship I've ever had.

Message 3 of 7
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

He setup phone line (landline) in his name and I paid him for it. A couple months after I joined cut phone. He is still my roommate and is serving another tour overseas right now.

Message 4 of 7
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Ps. I've been with them for two years now.

Message 5 of 7
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
Didn't use this as my way in. But I have seen that this route is the most scrutinized. I'm sure many have tried this way in that weren't really "roommates." Do you both have the same address listed on license? And each have a bill in your name? Both on lease? Just make sure all your ducks are in a row in case they request docs? Also don't put all your cash in upfront because there is an increased likelihood that security will freeze your accts while verifying your eligibility. Good luck.

I recently inquired about this for my tennants/roomates. The Navy Rep said that to join under the household member provision, they had to be listed on a Utility bill (electric/gas/water/sewer/etc). They did specify that Driver's License and car registration was not enough. I don't remember if it was specified that we had to be on the same bill, or not.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 6 of 7
baller4life
Super Contributor

I don't think you have to both be on the same bill. I just think you each have to have a utility in your name to prove you live there. Something about "contribution to the household."
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.