Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heating oil as a "gas" purchase? - Rewards

tag
jonfive
Established Member

Heating oil as a "gas" purchase? - Rewards

Just wondering if anyone's had heating oil purchases count as a 'gas' category.

Normally I just pay with my bank card - didn't think to start using credit cards 'til i came around these parts Smiley Tongue

Just want to get the last bit out of CreditOne before i drop them

Synchrony Amazon: 1500 | Synchrony Mavis Tire: 1900 | Chase Amazon: 2200 | Citi Doublecash (1): 500 | Citi Doublecash (2): 1000 | BestBuy: 3000 | Credit One: 2900 (closing) | Capital One Platinum: 1800 | Amex Blue: 2500 | NFCU CashRewards: 5000 | NFCU CLOC: 6000 | Paypal Credit: 2000 | Ikea: 2200 | Wellsfargo Microcenter: 1900
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jonfive
Established Member

Re: Heating oil as a "gas" purchase? - Rewards

could fill up a few drums of #2 oil from my local gas station and guarantee the rewards - but that's a REAL pain, though price/gallon is lower

Synchrony Amazon: 1500 | Synchrony Mavis Tire: 1900 | Chase Amazon: 2200 | Citi Doublecash (1): 500 | Citi Doublecash (2): 1000 | BestBuy: 3000 | Credit One: 2900 (closing) | Capital One Platinum: 1800 | Amex Blue: 2500 | NFCU CashRewards: 5000 | NFCU CLOC: 6000 | Paypal Credit: 2000 | Ikea: 2200 | Wellsfargo Microcenter: 1900
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as Chase is concerned, "Does not include merchants that do not specialize in selling automotive gasoline."

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're getting rewards from Credit One? I believe that is unheard of.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You're getting rewards from Credit One? I believe that is unheard of.

They started offering 1% on gas and groceries some time ago...

Message 5 of 8
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

That's a joke - 1% cash back on a card that charges you interest from the transaction date... plus their APR... you're still probably losing in the end
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 6 of 8
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@jonfive wrote:

Normally I just pay with my bank card - didn't think to start using credit cards 'til i came around these parts Smiley Tongue

How credit card companies define "gas" or other category is entirely different than what exactly you bought. 

Mostly the transaction is coded/categorized by the store where you made the transaction from. Please look up MCC Merchant code for more details. 

Therefore, you could buy food in a gas station and still count as "gas" category. It's also true that you could buy gas in a store and had it not count as "gas" category if the store was not internally labeled and qualified for "gas" category. 

You could simply try to make a purchase and see if you actually end up with the cash back after one statement.

Message 7 of 8
jonfive
Established Member

@csryang wrote:

@jonfive wrote:

How credit card companies define "gas" or other category is entirely different than what exactly you bought. 

Mostly the transaction is coded/categorized by the store where you made the transaction from. Please look up MCC Merchant code for more details. 

Therefore, you could buy food in a gas station and still count as "gas" category. It's also true that you could buy gas in a store and had it not count as "gas" category if the store was not internally labeled and qualified for "gas" category. 

You could simply try to make a purchase and see if you actually end up with the cash back after one statement.

Yeah, i've got a few cents from buying from the local station. 

maybe i'll use my citi dc instead for a guaranteed reward instead.

Once i get a real gas card, i'll test it out with the oil company and see how it's coded. may not be worth dumping $500+ for a "chance" that it'll be a reward.

Looks good that it may be coded as gas - the local gas station is the delivery service, but again, i'll test it out with a smaller amount - i'll order 50 gallons or so and see what happens. There's no delivery fee for it anyways. 

There's always the chance that they've made a seperate entity for their delivery service (inc/corp/llc) that differs from the station itself with it's own, new merchant code.

Thank you!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.