Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, and a DMP question

tag
Shoebox
Valued Member

Hello, and a DMP question

Hi everyone. Longtime lurker, first time poster. This forum is fantastic and a real eye-opener. It's amazing how clueless I've been throughout my life about credit. Very humbling.

My wife and I are crawling our way out of deep debt brought on by a tanking economy (she was self-employed and business dropped to nothing around 2009) and carelessness. We're in a DMP to rid ourselves of CC debt. Have 3 more years of payments to go. My question is this: in November 2012 (before discovering this forum and becoming more informed), I opened a CC to use for business travel. I found it nearly impossible to rent cars without a CC, so stupidly applied and was accepted. My question is this: I know now that this may have ramifications with the creditors in the DMP, some of who may decide to opt out of the program if they discover the new card. Has anyone had experience with this situation and, if so, what advice can you give? If one or more of the banks do decide to opt out, do you think if I explain the situation, that the card was needed for business, they'd be willing to overlook this one mistake?

Any advice would be most appreciated. Very worried about my stupid mistake. Hope to continue to learn from you all so I don't continue my clueless ways...

Starting Score: 614
Current Score: 727 745 731
Goal Score: 800 800 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hello, and a DMP question

Did you open a personal credit card or a small business credit card?

If its a small business credit card, the ramifications would be different.  If its a personal, then that may make it pretty bad

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 3
Shoebox
Valued Member

Re: Hello, and a DMP question

@webhopper wrote:

Did you open a personal credit card or a small business credit card?

If its a small business credit card, the ramifications would be different.  If its a personal, then that may make it pretty bad

Unfortunately, it was a personal card from CapOne. Should I be proactive and contact the banks to tell them what I've done, or see where the chips fall? Ugh (beats head against wall).

Starting Score: 614
Current Score: 727 745 731
Goal Score: 800 800 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.