Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, Advice, Anything! - new CC apps

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help, Advice, Anything! - new CC apps

I'm trying to figure out what card(s) to apply for, which ones I stand a good chance of getting approval on , etc.. I've seen people with lower scores than mine saying they get approved for the Barclaycard so I tried that and got rejected. Now I'm hesitant about applying elsewhere because I don't want to rack up inquiries.

My scores are: EQ-650, EX-653, TU-664

Should I start with a secured card? Is there another more lenient card company to try? Any thoughts/advise?

(This isn't so that I can shop or make some big purchase, it's strictly a credit rebuilding effort)

Thanks!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Re: Help, Advice, Anything! - new CC apps

I would say Capital One is probably the best bet for easy approval in your range.  It does cost 3 HPs and will prbably carry an AF, but they are really the best and most reliable sub-prime lender available.  Maybe try the Pre-Qualifier and see if anything comes up?

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Yes I did the prequalifier and the Platinum and Quicksilver both came up. It seems from what I've read that the Platinum is the easier of the two to get approved. I may try for that.

Message 3 of 17
MT936
Established Contributor

Use preapproval tools on card websites. With scores like yours theres no need to get a secured card.

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 4 of 17
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I would hold off and let some others chime in.  I'm not sure what kind of rewards the Platinum card offers nor am I sure how reliable the Cap one Pre-qualifier actually is.

If the Platinum has no Anual Fee, I would go for it.  If they are both going to charge a fee, then maybe the QS1 would offer better rewards.  I am assuming with your scores the offer was for Quicksilver One MC rather than the Quicksilver Visa.  The Quicksilver One MC carries a $39 AF so just keep that in mind.

Message 5 of 17
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks! Yes I did the prequalifier and the Platinum and Quicksilver both came up. It seems from what I've read that the Platinum is the easier of the two to get approved. I may try for that.

The Quicksilver One credit card isn't all that hard to get approved. Plus, with a year of good usage you could probably get the AF waived by contacting the EO. If they preapproved you for the QSO, don't waste your time with the Platinum.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE - just approved for the Cap One Platinum - $500 limit

Message 7 of 17
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations!!  Don't forget to hit the luv button every 6 months.

Message 8 of 17
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've seen people with lower scores than mine saying they get approved for the Barclaycard so I tried that and got rejected. Now I'm hesitant about applying elsewhere because I don't want to rack up inquiries.

I'm surprised nobody here has recommended you call in to recon w/ Barclays.

Give a call and make sure you get a rep with a pulse, who sounds like they may have a drop of humanity inside of them. Explain that you'd like to build a relationship with them and that they were your very first choice for your new CC needs. If you get a no, try again. When I apped with them, I had a few inquiries that they were upset about. It took me 4 recons to get approved.

Moral of the story: Never let an HP go to waste!

Barclays: 866-408-4064 (Credit Analyst/Recon)

☮ & ❤
Message 9 of 17
MissMoni223
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

CONGRATS on your CapOne Platinum approval. Smiley Happy

Gardening Until Further Notice
15 Credit Cards (12 Major Banks & 3 Store Cards)
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.