Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! BOA won't do product change without new application

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help! BOA won't do product change without new application

ok, i called again, and asked to convert my BankAmericard Signature reward visa to a cc that reports a credit limit. cs rep says "we can do that for you, I'll take your application and let's see what you qualify for"

I said NO I don't want to apply for a new card, I just want to convert the card I have.

he said it is still considered an application.

i don't know what to do - their cs reps don't get it.   should i try to get this done at my local branch? or should i keep calling until i get someone who knows what they're doing?

Message 11 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried just asking to convert to the regular BankAmericard instead of the Signature version? Just tell them you specifically told them when you applied that you didn't want the signature card and you want it switched to the card you asked for....
Message 12 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually did not specifically ask to change to the regular BankAmericard. I just said that I never wanted a signature card and that I would like to convert it to a card that reports a limit. I even used the word "downgrade"/

so far the reps i've been getting on the phone, seem to be shocked that i don't want the card and completely clueless about the reporting problem.

@Anonymous wrote:
Have you tried just asking to convert to the regular BankAmericard instead of the Signature version? Just tell them you specifically told them when you applied that you didn't want the signature card and you want it switched to the card you asked for....

Message Edited by Max09 on 11-20-2008 02:57 PM
Message 13 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Max-

It sounds like you are not getting someone who understands that you don't care for the signature version and would like a card that reports the limit as you may need it for utility purposes.

I had to be transferred to several different CSR's before one understood what I was asking and was able to get it done for me. Some of them understood, but were not in the position to be able to make the changes necessary, but they did continue to pass me to someone who could.

Message 14 of 45
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Try asking for a "credit analyst." They are the second-tier CSR's at BofA, and they generally have more latitude and are more knowledgeable than the phone answerers.

It's not surprising that the first-tier people don't know about this. I assume that they are encouraged to market the Sig cards, and training of salespeople often involves a lot of hype and not a lot of hard facts. Sort of a cheerleader routine, I suppose.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't believe this. I just called BOA a spoke to "credit analyst".  he said "we absolutely cannot convert a signature card to a regular card. it would have to be a new account - we will not pull a hard inq but it will be a new account."

what should i do?

haulingthescoreup wrote:
Try asking for a "credit analyst." They are the second-tier CSR's at BofA, and they generally have more latitude and are more knowledgeable than the phone answerers.

It's not surprising that the first-tier people don't know about this. I assume that they are encouraged to market the Sig cards, and training of salespeople often involves a lot of hype and not a lot of hard facts. Sort of a cheerleader routine, I suppose.

Message 16 of 45
psychic
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't believe this. I just called BOA a spoke to "credit analyst".  he said "we absolutely cannot convert a signature card to a regular card. it would have to be a new account - we will not pull a hard inq but it will be a new account."

what should i do?

Does this mean that you would have two accounts:  Your BankAmericard Signature and the new, non-Signature account?  Or, does it mean that they would close the Signature account and assign you a new account number for the non-Signature card?

Message Edited by psychic on 11-21-2008 04:13 PM
EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 17 of 45
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Max09 wrote:

what should i do?

Wow, this is new. I wonder if word has come down on high to really force these things down people's throats. I always thought that they were marketed pretty aggressively, but this seems completely over the top. They must get one heckuva incentive to shove these things out there!

Even without the Credit Cardholders' Bill of Rights having been passed (yet), you'd think that there would be some sort of protection for consumers against having something that could hurt your scores.

For those with a bunch of cards, one Sig/World card might not matter, but if you only have 3 or 4 high-CL cards, and 2 of them go no-preset-limit, you could be in a mell of a hess.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 18 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi, uh, um, sorry to sound like a newbie but how is that being in a hell of a mess? (having 2 cards with no preset spending limit?)

are those world/sig cards really bad for your credit? Please let me know since I was thinking of getting or applying for :

"Bank of America World MasterCard® Credit Card with WorldPoints® Rewards"

Also, are the sig/world cards really difficult for people who have all 3 scores in the 650-range? (like me) Smiley Happy

Thanks.

Best, -

-S

Message 19 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, he said it will be an additional account. He said he will open a new account for like $3000 and as soon as i receive the new card, i will have to go online and ask for cli or transfer some of the limit from the signature card to the new account.

@psychic wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

what should i do?

Does this mean that you would have two accounts:  Your BankAmericard Signature and the new, non-Signature account?  Or, does it mean that they would close the Signature account and assign you a new account number for the non-Signature card?

Message Edited by psychic on 11-21-2008 04:13 PM

Message 20 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.