Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! BOA won't do product change without new application

tag
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

Re: Help! BOA won't do product change without new application

@iDShaDoW wrote:

I received a letter in the mail saying that they were "upgrading" me to the WorldPoints Signature card and that it's arriving next month. I think I'll have to call them up and tell them I'd rather keep my current card.

@iDShaDoW wrote:

Uh oh.  On the line with them now.  The 1st tier person told me that I'd have to app for a new card since they've already issued me the new card even though I haven't received it yet.  Told them why I wanted to keep my card and they said that having no pre-set limit would actually be better than having a pre-set.

Now I'm waiting to speak to a credit analyst but reading other peoples' experiences I get the feeling the credit analyst won't help me much.

I've never heard before of a bank being this overly aggressive in how it handles offers for automatic upgrades. Did the letter that informed you of the upgrade tell you that you have a right to reject the upgrade ? It almost sounds like there was a huge assumption on their part that customers would welcome the upgrade.

It also sounds like the letter wasn't informing you that you would be upgraded after a certain date ? Instead, apparently the letter was informing you after the upgrade that you had been upgraded ?

Reading about this is a pretty huge turn off to me for ever wanting a credit card relationship with BofA.
Message 41 of 45
iDShaDoW
Regular Contributor

Wish I could tell you.  My current card was going to expire in 10/09.

I mis-placed the letter they sent so can't really say for sure as to what's worded on it.  Either way, by the time I called the "conversion" was done and they couldn't un-do it.

The credit analyst basically told me that they do report the limit to the credit bureaus regardless of whether or not the card has a no pre-set spending limit attached to it.  He also said that if I were to request a CLI that would be reported as well and that the no preset spending limit is basically there to keep you from being charged a fee for going over your limit.

Sucks but guess at this point there's probably not much I can do unless anyone else has had luck in the recent past.  Will just have to wait it out for awhile and check my credit scores and see how it reports.  Hopefully the incorrect information they're giving is how things are supposed to work and they're working on fixing the kinks with how they're ACTUALLY reporting.

Message 42 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I planned to try also for product change bcs I have 2 BoA same platinum plus, one is with 6k cl and another that I planned to try to change to AMEX is my first cc that I started building my credit history 2 years ago, first was secured and later unsecured with 800$ cl and annual fee also.

But as I see your experiences with cr and "credit analyst's" maybe is better for me ony to close that one with annual fee even it is my oldest cc in US

Any suggestion what to do?

I have also other cards: Miles by Discover with 5k, Chase Pl- 2.4k, Cap One 1k, Exxonmobil 400$

(I also hate to speak in phone bcs my English is poor and you  know when you have problems to communicate with them for me will be impossible) 

Message 43 of 45
hemi961
Regular Contributor

I've done 2 product changes in the past 3 months with them and never had any kind of problem.  I just changed from a worldpoints Visa card  to the Accelerated Rewards Amex card on Saturday afternoon.  Never asked for a credit analyst, the person who answered did the change in just a few minutes.  My experience with them is that it takes several weeks to get the new card but changing products has never been an issue for me.
Message 44 of 45
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@hemi961 wrote:
I've done 2 product changes in the past 3 months with them and never had any kind of problem.  I just changed from a worldpoints Visa card  to the Accelerated Rewards Amex card on Saturday afternoon.  Never asked for a credit analyst, the person who answered did the change in just a few minutes.  My experience with them is that it takes several weeks to get the new card but changing products has never been an issue for me.
I have a Worldpoints Plat. Plus Visa (or whatever it's called), and I keep getting transferred to the sales department. What number did you call that had someone with a clue about it?
Message 45 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.