Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Can't Pay AMEX PRG in Full This Month

tag
joeyoey
Frequent Contributor

Help - Can't Pay AMEX PRG in Full This Month

I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I've finally (finally!) got a clear report...nothing at all negative except my balances are too high.

Unfortunately, I've been using my AMEX PRG as my daily "go to" card for the past few months and paying it as I go.  Well, this month I ran into car problems and the dog had an unexpected trip to the vet.  I have a $2000 payment due on the 10th of April & the chances are I won't make it.  I can probably pay about half but not all at once.

What are my options with AMEX?  Will they cut me off, cut off my other card (which is current) or what?  I can probably pay it within 30 days but now on the due date.

I'm so nervous & mad at myself for letting this happen!

Starting Score (02/01/2014): EQ 548 EX 548 TU 564
Current/Most Recent FICO Score (4/01/2015): EQ 686 EX 668 TU 669
Nov 1, 2015 Goal: 700 Across all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

test

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help - Can't Pay AMEX PRG in Full This Month

@joeyoey wrote:

I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I've finally (finally!) got a clear report...nothing at all negative except my balances are too high.

Unfortunately, I've been using my AMEX PRG as my daily "go to" card for the past few months and paying it as I go.  Well, this month I ran into car problems and the dog had an unexpected trip to the vet.  I have a $2000 payment due on the 10th of April & the chances are I won't make it.  I can probably pay about half but not all at once.

What are my options with AMEX?  Will they cut me off, cut off my other card (which is current) or what?  I can probably pay it within 30 days but now on the due date.

I'm so nervous & mad at myself for letting this happen!

Take a breath - it's going to be OK

Take a look at your Amex dashboard - you should notice you have a 'Pay over Time' balance, and that it should include any charges you've made over $100.  So, as long as you can pay the portion of the balance not included in Pay over Time, and the minimum payment on that, you should be OK.

You may also have the option of adding charges to Pay over Time that aren't already designated as such - again, check your dashboard

If you don't see Pay over Time anywhere, call customer service and ask about it.

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check your dashboard but if all else fails... do you have any other cards? Can you BT to a different card?
Message 3 of 47
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Like previous posters mentioned, enroll in "Pay over time" and/or do a balance transfer to another card.
Message 4 of 47
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

They gave you some solid suggestions regarding "Pay over time" and a possilbe BT.

Just out of curiousity, is "Pay over time" available to all AMEX charge memebers or is it targeted? I thought it was a targeted benefit. I could be wrong as I don't have a charge card.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 5 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just curious, why didn't you put that charge on a different card man

Message 6 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is why i like having cards with cheap BT offers, and low interest lines of credit available for absolute emergency situations.
Message 7 of 47
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Does PoT apply retroactively to include past purchases?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 47
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

Do you have dedicated pet insurance?  I know that might sound a bit crazy for some, but considering I can't get out of the vets office for under 200 bucks usually, I find it to be a must.  We had one e-Vet situation that was roughly 1800.  The insurance reimbursed for everything past 25 dollars.

I also think that it might be prudent to not put emergency items on that charge card, tempting as it might be for the points.  I have a low interest plat just for such a thing.  Hopefully you can get put on the POT plan

Message 9 of 47
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Does PoT apply retroactively to include past purchases?

It has for me

Message 10 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.