Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Can't catch up on credit card and not sure what to do

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help! Can't catch up on credit card and not sure what to do

So, I've been playing what seems like money games with my Imagine Credit Card for over a year now.  I somehow got over my limit and started incurring charges (over the limit charge) EVERY MONTH and to catch up to bring my account "current" I would have to pay something like $400--which is not doable right now.  I wrote them an email regarding the fact that I am stuck in a vicious cycle that I can't get out of---each month I get charged that fee and the small payments I can make are not enough to catch me up.

They told me I would have to pay the amount over the limit (as mentioned above) and THEN they would work with me.  I am so frustrated....any thoughts on how to best handle this??

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
upinflagstaff
Frequent Contributor

Re: Help! Can't catch up on credit card and not sure what to do

How much is your over the limit fee each month? Can you ask them to temporarily close the account and treat it like an installment to stop the monthly OTL fees with the option to reopen when you are below the limit again? I'm really surprised they haven't closed the account yet due to you being regularly OTL. When you call them ask to speak to a supervisor or even someone in "loss mitigation" and if that doesn't work I would file a complaint with the BBB in their state.

Worst case you might have to permanently close the account, but if it saves you $40/month it might be the only thing left to do.

Message 2 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

From your FICO score point of view, if the company wont work with you your best option is to enter a debt managment program DMP.  If you have enough unsecured debt (> 5k I think) they will close the account and allow you to make affordable payments till the account is PIF.  Also if you could get a loan thru a CU or other souce to do a BT on the account.  Also perhaps you can get a second job or sell something.  The last 2 options are suggested by FCs like Dave Ramsey.

Message Edited by marty56 on 11-24-2008 05:13 PM
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Unfortunately you are on the bottom of the barrel with imagine and they are not going to jump to work with you and stop those fees if you don't have a way to bring your account back current. But I think it should be illegal for a company to allow you to pay a minimum that is less then what is needed to bring your account back within it's credit line.

but in the same token, this would be standard for all credit cards, not imagine, you are going to get fees until your within your limit.

could you borrow the money from someone and pay them back payments. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

are you currently late? What amount are you paying?
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you cancel your cable, cut back your cell phone plan, stop eating out, skip Starbucks, etc. until you are caught up?  Did you buy anything you can return?  Can you transfer the balance or a portion of it to another card?  Can you pay every two weeks instead of once a month?  For example if you were paying $200/month, pay $100 as soon as you get paid.  This won't make a huge difference but will slightly lower your finance charges.  If it were me I would plan on a frugal holiday with handcrafted gifts Smiley Happy  Good luck!
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

rmily is right. My DW and I are only getting each other 1 gift this year. Under $50.00, so we can save more money in case I lose my job. She already lost hers. Smiley Sad

California is suffering from over 8 percent unemployment.

If you value your credit find a way. Even if you have to sell something on ebay.

Message 7 of 10
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

rmily is right. My DW and I are only getting each other 1 gift this year. Under $50.00, so we can save more money in case I lose my job. She already lost hers. Smiley Sad

California is suffering from over 8 percent unemployment.

If you value your credit find a way. Even if you have to sell something on ebay.

sorry to hear that pappy.  i hope we don't have that happen to us.

Message 8 of 10
JayBeast
New Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

From your FICO score point of view, if the company wont work with you your best option is to enter a debt managment program DMP.  If you have enough unsecured debt (> 5k I think) they will close the account and allow you to make affordable payments till the account is PIF.  Also if you could get a loan thru a CU or other souce to do a BT on the account.  Also perhaps you can get a second job or sell something.  The last 2 options are suggested by FCs like Dave Ramsey.

Message Edited by marty56 on 11-24-2008 05:13 PM

I agree with Marty.  A second job is an easy way to catch up on a small debt.  My DMP was the smartest thing I did.  Of course a 2nd job and a DMP will REALLY get you out of debt.  

Message 9 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Go through your closets, drawers, jewelry, cd's.  Get on eBay and get some stuff sold.  You've got to get yourself off of this imagine train....it's a train to nowhere fast.  I made quite a nice chunk of change in the past few weeks.

Is there a seasonal job that you could apply for?  If you get hired & work 10 hours per week, you can get that paid to zero in a few weeks.  Is there a local mom who would like to get a few private shopping hours in?  How about baby-sitting? 

Think hard, you should be able to come up with something.  Good Luck!!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.