Did you mean: 

Help!! Capital one screwed me and closed my account

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Help!! Capital one screwed me and closed my account

@arkane wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would also recommend ending auto-pay to your creditors/utilities. You might want to take more control by initiating payments yourself so that situations like this do not arise.

+100 to this.

Creditors want their money back so they won't hesitate to hassle you for any amounts you owe. However trying to get your rightfully earned dollars returned due to an excessive/error/whatever autopay screw up payment is like pulling teeth. I've never used autopay and never will after one too many horror stories from my mom.

I'm very much of the opposite view, maybe with a different type of error in mind.    If you have set up autopay in full on due date, it's the issuers responsibility to make sure the payment is taken, problems can arise only if 

a) you give the wrong account number

or 

b) funds are not available.

When you push, there is an equivalent version of a (you can mistype the credit card account number).   So the push advantage is that you might see that you didn't have funds (whether you have time to fix it is another matter) but against that this is something you need to manually do and if something happens (you forget, the internet connection is down, you are in an accident etc), your credit card company isn't going to cut you any slack.   

I don't really get when people don't trust pulling but do trust pushing.   Both rely on the same basic ACH infreastructure and the same things can go wrong with both.   

Message 11 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I got the secured cap one card in August and my December payment was my 5th one for credit steps increase. I check my account and see my account is closed. I call and the rep said it was for returned payments.

Backstory: I’ve paid my account in full every month. Late December I had issue where i places stop payment on my back for Direct TV and my bank in error included capital one because the payment amounts were the same. Since i make multiple payments to my account monthly, the payments that were returned were in between billing cycles so nothing major. All my payments have been on time and in full.

Now the rep said it’s nothing they can do, i would have to reapply. I did and was denied. Should I call redetermination line?

This is going to kill my score. I’m so pissed! Any other advice ?

My experience when they took adverse action against me was that it was a big waste of time to talk to them. No one had any authority to do anything. They couldn't even tell me why the adverse action was taken.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 12 of 19
arkane
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@arkane wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would also recommend ending auto-pay to your creditors/utilities. You might want to take more control by initiating payments yourself so that situations like this do not arise.

+100 to this.

Creditors want their money back so they won't hesitate to hassle you for any amounts you owe. However trying to get your rightfully earned dollars returned due to an excessive/error/whatever autopay screw up payment is like pulling teeth. I've never used autopay and never will after one too many horror stories from my mom.

I'm very much of the opposite view, maybe with a different type of error in mind.    If you have set up autopay in full on due date, it's the issuers responsibility to make sure the payment is taken, problems can arise only if 

or 

When you push, there is an equivalent version of a (you can mistype the credit card account number).   So the push advantage is that you might see that you didn't have funds (whether you have time to fix it is another matter) but against that this is something you need to manually do and if something happens (you forget, the internet connection is down, you are in an accident etc), your credit card company isn't going to cut you any slack.   

I don't really get when people don't trust pulling but do trust pushing.   Both rely on the same basic ACH infreastructure and the same things can go wrong with both.   

It was never a problem with the payment not going through and AA being taken. Rather, all her autopay woes are with the system making duplicate/multiple payments, then trying to recover the funds. Hence my comment about clawing back your own money is like pulling teeth.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, any updates?

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

What was the result of this on your credit scores?
Message 15 of 19
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I hope it does get worked out.  Contact the EO.

I have to admit I never understood how payments you make through online banking can be reversed...

I can see the pull aspect of it, but can't see the push aspect of it.  Why schedule a payment to then reverse it....?....    With a pull there is the chance that someone is taking money from you wrongly and all.  

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 16 of 19
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurkerwrote:

@arkane wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+100 to this.

or 

Pushing vs. Pulling is really just a personal preference.  As long as you can save your info on either end for future payments then the danger of miskeying is only on the first payment you make.   If the first goes through with no problem then with saved back account/cc info you don't need to worry about a miskey bouncing a payment. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

After ten years of nothing but auto-pull, I'm still a fan, despite the stories of others. In all of those years, with scores of cards, I've had a single case where there was an incorrect pull; the CC issuer pulled the payment twice. In that case, the issuer noticed their error and reversed the extra pull before I even noticed.

I have ended up with a credit balance (sometimes a large one) usually when an account credit was received and either the CC issuer didn't adjust the autopayment to avoid a credit balance or the credit transaction happened after the payment was made. In other cases, I had set up a new autopay but wasn't certain whether it was in effect yet so pushed a payment as well. In any of those cases where I ended up with a credit balance, I simply called the CC's customer service and said "I have a credit balance on my account, please refund it to me." So I had to wait a few days for a check to arrive in the mail. Maybe I had to transfer a few $ from savings to checking, so I lost out on a few cents of interest. Not a big deal considering how few times it happened, versus the convenience on the other end.

YMMV.

Chris.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

This was most likely due to a declined payment same thing happened to me
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.