cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help. Citibank question

tag
Prodr222

Help. Citibank question

I have two Citibank Advantage credit cards. One is a Gold AAvantage visa signature. and the other is a platinum AAdvantage world mastercard 

visa- cl $8000

Mastercard- cl $2000

The mastercard is a better card because it comes with better benefits on american airlines. So i thought i could transfer over the credit line from the visa over and then close that account. but when i called citibank they said they cant do that and have never done that before. Is this right or was the representative not knowledgeable. Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help. Citibank question

To my knowledge, unlike some other lenders, Citi is not one that would consolidate existing TLs or shift CLs to another product.  There may be rare instances in which they could shift CLs, but I believe you would need to engage their EO and may result in a HP (anecdotes vary).  They can, however, review whether any of your existing products could qualify for a PC.

Message 2 of 4
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I recently went through this myself. The representative transfered me to a supervisor who took down information and submitted it to an underwriter. She said an inquiry would be pulled, but I reckon since I had just received an increase on both cards the same day, they didn't need to pull again. It came back declined because they only allow one change in the limit every six months.

The next day I was able to speak with the executive office and she did the same thing the supervisor did and said she'd get back to me. The next day I saw the limits were moved and the day after that she rang back to let me know that it worked. Perhaps since the request came from the executive office they went through with it, or maybe since it was so close to an increase they were able to go back and change it. Anyway, it is possible.

Message 3 of 4
MrCredit
Established Contributor

I can attest that I recently tried to combine CLs on two Citi cards without success. Years ago, they used to be able to do this without any questions asked. I do not know why they stopped doing it, although this was before the recession and the credit bust hit.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.