Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Help] Credit One Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

[Help] Credit One Question

I know, Credit One, I know they're a **bleep**ty company and I'm regretting opening the account. It started out as curiosity to see if I'd even be approved, poof, your card is on the way... Smiley Indifferent

So I got the card today and I wanted to just cancel the account, tried calling and was told to activate the card and to setup an account online. I did, then I get a email after setting up my account stating "Your new Credit One Bank Mastercard will be arriving soon." "Please note that this payment due date may be different from your existing Credit One Bank Visa."

So now I'm a bit worried and confused, all i did was activate the card and create my online profile. I didn't opt in to anything or agree to anything else and I'm at a loss as to what this is.

I'm working on my credit after being stupid when I turned 18, my credit is mainly student loans and a few collections from medical bills. I have 2 Cap One cards (Plat and QS) and a Amazon Store Card. I just paid them all off, they were all maxed out. I really don't want this Credit One crap to screw me and I need advice on how to handle this the easiest way possible.

PS: My score with TU and EQ are right around 600. I can give more details if needed for more advice, just let me know.  

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: [Help] Credit One Question

Talk to a csr and close the card! Be firm on your intentions when you speak to them and close it. They will make you varied us offers but stand firm.  

The only evidence you will have on your CR is the HP unless something has changed. 

You havent shouldn't have activated it. I don't know if you will be stuck with any fees. Hopefully someone else can chime in. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Justagirl73 wrote:

Talk to a csr and close the card! Be firm on your intentions when you speak to them and close it. They will make you varied us offers but stand firm.  

The only evidence you will have on your CR is the HP unless something has changed. 

You havent shouldn't have activated it. I don't know if you will be stuck with any fees. Hopefully someone else can chime in. 

Thanks for your reply. I was going to keep the card originally and pay the $75 annual fee and just put the card away and use it like once a month for like a trip to McDonald's and just pay it off once it posted. My issue is getting that email stating that another card is on the way that I have no knowledge of. I'm hoping someone has some insight on this. I've been stupid in the past, but my bank gave me the consolidation loan to pay off my cards and a personal loan I had with an outside company. Everything is paid and only paying $110/month vs around $300/month (I always pay double the minimum).

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Justagirl73 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I was going to keep the card originally and pay the $75 annual fee and just put the card away and use it like once a month for like a trip to McDonald's and just pay it off once it posted. My issue is getting that email stating that another card is on the way that I have no knowledge of. I'm hoping someone has some insight on this. I've been stupid in the past, but my bank gave me the consolidation loan to pay off my cards and a personal loan I had with an outside company. Everything is paid and only paying $110/month vs around $300/month (I always pay double the minimum).

If your goal is to build up payment history, go for the Discover secured, or try for BofA and hopefully get the 99/500 offer.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Justagirl73 wrote:

If your goal is to build up payment history, go for the Discover secured, or try for BofA and hopefully get the 99/500 offer.

Do you have links to those cards? You can PM them to me.

Message 5 of 7
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

OP- there are no links to those cards. Apply for a discover and you very well may get countered with a secured offer. Same as a BOA Cash rewards, if not approved they will probably counter with some sort of secured offer
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fltireguy wrote:
OP- there are no links to those cards. Apply for a discover and you very well may get countered with a secured offer. Same as a BOA Cash rewards, if not approved they will probably counter with some sort of secured offer

Discover lets you apply for secured directly. I did that because I wanted to avoid being double pulled if possible, which worked since they only pulled my nearly empty (Just one HP) TU. OP may get an unsecured card successfully though! Just make sure the PIF's report first.

BoA there is no direct link, just apply for the regular cash rewards. Unless they see something they really hate, you'll get a counter for the cash rewards secured. It's the same $39 AF as the platinum secured you can apply for directly, but with the cash rewards and you may get the 99/500 offer. They generally use pull for 30 days, so it's the same single/double pull they would've done anyway.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.