Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Finding a Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help Finding a Card

Hi, I've been looking around for a new credit card lately, and am looking for suggestions for a decent one for my credit. So, my Equifax score is 722, and my score on Credit Karma (i believe they pull TransUnion) is 673. I'm using 1% of my Open Credit Cards. I have 100% on time payments. 3 total accounts Average age of open credit lines is 4 months. 5 Hard Credit Inquiries 0 Derogatory Marks on credit history My total debt is $2,753 (student loans) I am 18, and only one of my accounts is a credit card with a $500 limit. Just a secured card I got through PNC, which is who I have my checking accounts through. They report as a normal unsecured to all 3 agencies. I don't have a mortgage payment, as I am a college student, and I make about 23k a year. Obviously, my weak point here is my limited history. What history I have is good. I've looked at student cards like the Citi Forward and the Discover More for Students cards, and want any other ideas of what would be good for me. If there are any I can get with rewards, that would be awesome, but the important thing is for it to be an unsecured card that I can definitely get approved for. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Help Finding a Card

with 4 months, you would have to look at sub-prime cards with high interest rates.  You might be able to find one with rewards.  Try Capital One.

Or, probably a better option, you could wait until you have another year on your current card and then apply for something better.

The third option is to find someone to add you as an authorized user, which would quickly give you some history.

My credit went downhill quickly at your age and I was able to rebuild it with a card from my work and a card from a credit union.  That is a fourth option if your job offers a credit card, they are more likely to approve an employee.  And many credit unions are generous to people who qualify as members.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 7
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

You could try for the Cap1 rewards card. It isn't sub prime. It is a prime card. CAP1 classic is a subprime card. If you App for the green card, app for the one for average credit as your history is limited. You'll have better chances overall though if you wait for your history to build up to at least a year. Chase and AMEX like to see at least a 2 year history and sometimes require that you've managed at least $5K in CL. You can also get a secured card. Find one that graduates to unsecured after 1 year.

Merry Christmas!
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 3 of 7
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Stay away from Capital One if at all possible.

Message 4 of 7
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Why???? They have been really good to me so far. What's the problem with Cap1?
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 5 of 7
stormb28
New Contributor

This guy clearly has an agenda against CapOne, any Capone thread, hes there with an axe to grind and quite frankly its pretty childish.
Message 6 of 7
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Why don't you apply for a Walmart/other GE card and then garden for a while before stepping in the prime arena?

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.