cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! I am in major credit card debt.

tag
USF813
Frequent Contributor

Re: Help! I am in major credit card debt.

Depending on your income situation, it might be best to stop worrying about the debt and start the process to file BK.  Trust me, BK is actually the best thing people can do for themselves. It isn't the end of the world - there's plenty of us here to support you in that road should you decide to pursue it.

Message 31 of 96
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

@creditwatcher2012 wrote:

I honestly feel as If I can handle this debt, I mean its out of comtrol but not to the point that I cant handle it.  I dont have rent/mortgage, and basically only pay my car payments approx 1k a month, and living expenses I feel fine just looking for the best strategy. I KNOW I will have this debt 75% paid down by august.  there is other money owed to me approx 12k which will go back on my card

Congrats for having a good plan.  I totally understand sometimes needing a sanity check from outside sources.  It seems like you may be able to really cut back some living expenses for a short period of time and knock this down and out and save yourself from potential credit damage or bankruptcy.

Stay strong... I KNOW how hard it is to make myself stay on budget sometimes but it's soooooooo worth it to see balances drop and bank account balances rise Smiley Happy   I've told myself times I OWN and manage my problems... They don't own me!

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 32 of 96
barbaralee
Established Contributor

I honestly feel as If I can handle this debt, I mean its out of comtrol but not to the point that I cant handle it.  I dont have rent/mortgage, and basically only pay my car payments approx 1k a month, and living expenses I feel fine just looking for the best strategy. I KNOW I will have this debt 75% paid down by august.  there is other money owed to me approx 12k which will go back on my card

I don't mean this in a rude way at all: 15 months ago you posted you were at 100% utilization. You also accumulated additional debt within a few months. What are you doing now that is different than what you were doing before? 

Message 33 of 96
USF813
Frequent Contributor

Oh, and if you do decide to go the BK route, I wouldn't recommend paying off more than a few hundred dollars on the smallest debts. The BK court doesn't look kindly on paying large sums of money to one creditor and stiffing the others.

Message 34 of 96
myjourney
Super Contributor

Lets not finger point as to how or why!!!!!!!

Lets just offer any help we can 

I'll be watching 

MJ

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 35 of 96
creditwatcher2012
Frequent Contributor

Guys I am never filing bankruptcy I can handle my debt believe me I know myself. I WILL make cutbacks. I will!! I will have this all taken care off a good 75 % racked up from expenses incured on construction and renovation of an investment property with the hope of pulling a HELOC.... I believe in myself, I WILL NEVER FILE BANKRUPTCY EVER!!!! but thank you for all your advice it means alot 

Message 36 of 96
Jeff007245
Regular Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

I'll be watching 

MJ

The guy/girl needs help, and it's what others are doing. Sometimes as advisors, critique is necessary to help others. In this case, it's more than just which cards to pay first. I understand that there are stickies about playing nice, but how is giving "real" straight forward advise on how to avoid this type of situation a negative thing?

Garden
2/16/14
|*****1/2014 - NPSL*****| *4/2011 6,000 CL* |*11/2011 - 5,000 CL*| *9/2012 - 850 CL* | *1/2014 - 500 CL* |*2/2014 - 6,000 CL*|
Message 37 of 96
subwaysandwich
Frequent Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

I don't mean this in a rude way at all: 15 months ago you posted you were at 100% utilization. You also accumulated additional debt within a few months. What are you doing now that is different than what you were doing before? 

The OP is in denial according to this user.

Message 38 of 96
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Jeff007245 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

I'll be watching 

MJ

The guy/girl needs help, and it's what others are doing. Sometimes as advisors, critique is necessary to help others. In this case, it's more than just which cards to pay first. I understand that there are stickies about playing nice, but how is giving "real" straight forward advise on how to avoid this type of situation a negative thing?

It tends to spiral into something else 

OP knows help is avaliable which is what is being asked for...

So with that said lets stay on topic 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 39 of 96
eagle2013
Established Contributor

OP, since you decided to aggressivley pay down your debt we would need to know the interest rates on all of your maxed/near maxed out accounts to better assist you.

Message 40 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.