Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! I can't pay my Amex balance!

tag
Amerabian
New Contributor

Help! I can't pay my Amex balance!

I've been trying to take advantage of the Amex offer for the EveryDay Card (Make 20 purchases, get 20% extra points).

I've maxed out the card making purchases (gas, PS4, games, dinners, etc..)
I made a payment IN FULL last week over the phone.

I've made more purchases, (Sony Plus membership, bills, etc..)

Now I'm at the card's max again and I want to make a payment..

Called Amex again to make a payment.. Unable to do so..

Explaination: Your account is new and you've already made a payment,
you won't be able to make a second payment until your statement date.

I don't know if I should be feeling upset about this but I feel like I deserve to be able to make a payment ANYTIME and make purchases ANYTIME.

Is there anything I can do besides making a wire transfer (which they recommended)?

My deadline for "20 transactions" is on the 28th and I need to make a payment to my card so I can make 5 more purchases to hit a total of 20 :/

FICO Score: 644
NPSL$500$300$500$528

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help! I can't pay my Amex balance!

@Amerabian wrote:

I've been trying to take advantage of the Amex offer for the EveryDay Card (Make 20 purchases, get 20% extra points).

I don't know if I should be feeling upset about this but I feel like I deserve to be able to make a payment ANYTIME and make purchases ANYTIME.

Is there anything I can do besides making a wire transfer (which they recommended)?

My deadline for "20 transactions" is on the 28th and I need to make a payment to my card so I can make 5 more purchases to hit a total of 20 :/

Push it from your bank. Or send them a check.

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Amerabian wrote:

Never run into this, but I have never tried making 2 payments on a new Amex before. Try talking to a CSR and seeing if you can make a payment. If not, you can try online billpay to push a payment from your bank. The 28th might be cutting it close for billpay though. 

Message 3 of 23
red259
Super Contributor

I dunno. Normally what i do in this situation with new cards is make a PUSH payment from my bank. I kinda doubt it will process in time for you though. Your limit sounds kinda low. Hopefully they will consider you for an auto cli. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can't pay AMEX over the phone or on their website, can you use your bank's bill pay service? I've never tried it (I'm one of the few people who still write checks), but others on the forum say that it can be done. It's worth a try.

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

4 answers saying the same thing in the same minute. Nixon wins the cookie though Smiley Happy

OP, Amex cards allow you to go over the limit. You can try buying 5 cheap items to get your 5 swipes. Amex cards work like Visa signature and World/World Elite Mastercards where you have a flexible spending limit that is higher than your credit limit. You just won't know how high until it declines the charge. If you don't mind risking a declined card, 5 small purchases should do the trick for the bonus. 

Message 6 of 23
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Also might consider 50 cent gift cards to Amazon -- works very well. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Download mobile app. You can pay it through it one more time.
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kenny wrote:
Also might consider 50 cent gift cards to Amazon -- works very well. Smiley Happy

Or $0.01 GC's.

Message 9 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

Or $0.01 GC's.

Not any more with Amazon

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.