cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! I need some advice about a Capital One application.

tag
migdismla

Help! I need some advice about a Capital One application.

I applied for a Journey student rewards card at Capital One, however, my application was denied. I called them back and ask to see if they could reconsider their decision but the agent told me that what he could do was to reprocess my credit application but they will make a second inquiry on my credit report. Would my credit score drop if they run it twice for the same application? I applied to two other credit cards, one at Wells Fargo and one at Walmart, both were approved but there will be four inquiries on my report in two weeks.  I appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Stralem
Established Contributor

Re: Help! I need some advice about a Capital One application.

NO DON'T.

Capital One hits all three credit reporting agencies with each applicationb you submit. If you resubmit the app, they'll slam you with an additional three for a total of SIX hard pulls. Wait for the letter to come and see what needs to be addressed.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 2 of 8
migdismla

Thank you so much Stralem for your response, it helped a lot. I will wait for the letter in the mail to see what needs to be addressed first. Thank you.

Message 3 of 8
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@migdismla wrote:

Thank you so much Stralem for your response, it helped a lot. I will wait for the letter in the mail to see what needs to be addressed first. Thank you.

Seeing that you applied for an Wells Fargo card, I wouldn't apped for the Cap1 Card again. But before you do anything first, make sure to get your score in the denial letter (And of course reason for denial). Then let the two cards you got age for another 6 months and then app for the cards you want (only if you CS is over 675). Seeing that you applying for student cards, I wouldn't app for top prime cards yet (like CSP and Chase Marriot Premier) but entry prime cards like the AMEX BCE and Discover IT. 

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 4 of 8
migdismla

I will do that efranklin23, thank you. My credit scores are: Transunion 669, Equifax 668, Experian 653, maybe if I improve them in the next few months I might qualify for a better card.

Message 5 of 8
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@migdismla wrote:

I will do that, thank you. My credit scores are: Transunion 669, Equifax 668, Experian 653, maybe if I improve them in the next few months I might qualify for a better card.

Where did you get those scores from?

Message 6 of 8
migdismla

I got my Equifax score at myfico.com, Experian score at Experian.com and Transunion from my Wells Fargo approval letter.

Message 7 of 8
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@migdismla wrote:

I got my Equifax score at myfico.com, Experian score at Experian.com and Transunion from my Wells Fargo approval letter.

Based on your current scores, I wouldn't waste my time with Cap1. Your scores are pretty much good enough to get an IT card at this point. I would just age the current cards a couple of months longer and then app for some prime cards. I don't think you need the Cap1 cards unless you want them. But keep in mind, unless you're going to use the rewards for the cards, the triple pull may not be worth it in this case. Also, Cap1 doesn't like to give nice limits either. You may be better off with another lender. 

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.