Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Me!! Best method to bring my SCORE up? Credit Cards

tag
Kixforpa
Contributor

Help Me!! Best method to bring my SCORE up? Credit Cards

Good Afternoon;

I currently have 100% utl and have about a $2000.00 revolving credit limit divided into about 6 cards. The lowest card has a $200.00 limit and the highest limit card is $500.00. How should I pay this off? Next month I am going to get alittle bit of extra money so I can technically pay the whole amount off with no problem. Or should I break it down in to a few payments? Meaning next month bring it down to 75%, June bring it down to 50% and July 25% percent and finally in August less than 10%? Whats your honest opinion? I have not missed a single payment for the past year and half since I been building my credit. . I have been sending the minium for the past 3 months, I am student and part-time employee. Previous to this the cards were payed off. I need to bring my scores up!  I am currently sitting about 550 Transunion and Exquifax FICO score... I will like to get above 600 and keep rising!

~Rebuilding Our Lives~
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
aftermath
Established Contributor

Re: Help Me!! Best method to bring my SCORE up? Credit Cards

Pay off 5 of your cards to $0 immediately.  Keep a balance of <10% of your credit limit on your 6th card.

Give everything about a month to report to the credit bureaus.

Purchase your FICO here.

This should bring up your scores to high 600's.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 2 of 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Help Me!! Best method to bring my SCORE up? Credit Cards

Pay them all off, all at once. No benefit in dragging it out.

For optimum scores, let ONE report a small balance like $10, and then pay it off before the due date. (Thus no interest paid.) For almost everyone, your scores drop a bit if all accounts report $0. This means pay off all but $10 several days before the statement is due, let the $10 show on the statement, and then pay off the $10 that very day. <-- This is easy to forget to do! Smiley Surprised

If you have a card from one of the major banks (other than US Bank or HSBC/ Orchard), they report the balance that appears on your statement, sending in the info that night. It then updates to the three credit reports, taking up to a week or so for all three to post it.

Once all of your cards report $0 (except one, if you wish), your scores will be back up.

Revolving util is the easiest scoring factor for the consumer to control, with nearly-immediate results, if you have the money to pay off the balances, of course.

eta: out-typed by aftermath!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.