Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Me Spend My PRG MR Points

tag
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

Re: Help Me Spend My PRG MR Points

Going to monitor this thread since I am in a somewhat similar position. I have about 100,000 Delta miles, $200 in Delta gc's that I got for the statement credit thing and about 100,000 PRG points.  All this along with about 200K in hilton points, I'll be trying to take my family to Kona next year for a much reduced feeSmiley Happy  We go to Hawaii every summer but after learning all this stuff from everyone here, it may be 1/2 the price or close to free once I figure out how to utilize all the rewards.

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Started my journey in the high 500's 10/1/2016
Current Fico: EQ:740 | TU:757 | EX:775
Message 31 of 46
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

Going to monitor this thread since I am in a somewhat similar position. I have about 100,000 Delta miles, $200 in Delta gc's that I got for the statement credit thing and about 100,000 PRG points.  All this along with about 200K in hilton points, I'll be trying to take my family to Kona next year for a much reduced feeSmiley Happy  We go to Hawaii every summer but after learning all this stuff from everyone here, it may be 1/2 the price or close to free once I figure out how to utilize all the rewards.

Can MRs converted to AlaskaAir be converted to Amtrak points (I know there was some partnership between the two)?  That would be an unforgettable way to get there! Smiley Surprised

Message 32 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

What can Delta SkyMile points be transferred to?
Message 33 of 46
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

SkyMiles, like most airline miles, are an end of the road. Lots of things can be transferred TO SkyMiles but you can’t transfer FROM SkyMiles. You can of course book reward flights through Delta on other SkyTeam alliance airlines, such as Air France, KLM, China Eastern, etc...
Message 34 of 46
PoorPeatree
Valued Member

Thanks for all of the info, I just got a PRG and I'm trying to sort out how to use points Smiley Indifferent

Message 35 of 46
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
What can Delta SkyMile points be transferred to?

Pesos? Thin air? "Feel Good" emotions? 

Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Message 36 of 46
wasCB14
Super Contributor

12v, there's a targeted 20% MR-to-Aeroplan transfer promo going on through 12/10/17.

Are you targeted for it? Log in to Amex and check your transfer partner page.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 37 of 46
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:
SkyMiles, like most airline miles, are an end of the road. Lots of things can be transferred TO SkyMiles but you can’t transfer FROM SkyMiles. You can of course book reward flights through Delta on other SkyTeam alliance airlines, such as Air France, KLM, China Eastern, etc...

You can also use them to book hotels and car rentals, and buy merch at SkyMiles Shopping, but the redemption rates are terrible... even worse than they are on award flights.  You only want to consider those options if you're just looking for something to burn them on.

I think the big takeaway from this thread is that it's a good idea to come up with a plan first for what you want to do with your rewards and then get cards that will help you get there.  If you go the other way around, i.e. get cards and bonuses and then work on figuring out what to do with them, you're bound to get stuck with rewards points that are of little value to you.

Message 38 of 46
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP, congrats on getting the AA gift card reimbursement. That reduces your AF to $95. 

Is is there a major issue with keeping the card for another year? If you do not have a plan immediately for where the points go, maybe keeping the PRG for another $95 AF is the way to go? These options proposed are good, but each step away from the MR points puts you in a specific use type. 

As far as Delta goes, the miles are redeemable at close to a set $ per point, but that means the use of points can follow the ticket price up and down. You do not need the Delta cards to preserve the SkyMiles. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 39 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

All good recommendations and ideas.
I am not targeted for the offer mentioned earlier. I just don't see a point in keeping it for another year.. I might just get the ED card and have the MR sit there. The ED card is no AF so I can have it forever.. it doesn't really cause any harm..
Message 40 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.