cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! My BoA Pre-Selected Offer just got worse, what will happen if I app?

tag
Colorado2014

Help! My BoA Pre-Selected Offer just got worse, what will happen if I app?

Long time lurker here, very thankful for all the info that has helped me get to where I am today.

I have been paying down my balances and plan to app for the Bank of America card in the next week (once all my low balances are reporting). Unfortunately I just got a pre-selected offer that is worse than the previous offer that is still valid, (previous offer 0% for 15 months, 16.99 interest, new offer is 0% for 12 months, 18.99 interest). They must have softed me when one of my balances was high, but now they are all paid down.

What will happen if I app with the older, better offer code?

Will they pull up my real time credit report and base their decision on that, or will they use an earlier soft pull that they based the most recent offer on?

Reason I ask is I chose BoA over Citi because their offer was better, but this new offer is actually the same as the Citi card so I'm not sure now which one to apply for.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Help! My BoA Pre-Selected Offer just got worse, what will happen if I app?

@Colorado2014 wrote:

Long time lurker here, very thankful for all the info that has helped me get to where I am today.

I have been paying down my balances and plan to app for the Bank of America card in the next week (once all my low balances are reporting). Unfortunately I just got a pre-selected offer that is worse than the previous offer that is still valid, (previous offer 0% for 15 months, 16.99 interest, new offer is 0% for 12 months, 18.99 interest). They must have softed me when one of my balances was high, but now they are all paid down.

What will happen if I app with the older, better offer code?

Will they pull up my real time credit report and base their decision on that, or will they use an earlier soft pull that they based the most recent offer on?

Reason I ask is I chose BoA over Citi because their offer was better, but this new offer is actually the same as the Citi card so I'm not sure now which one to apply for.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum

I'm sure both pre-approvals have different numbers so if you apply for the one you want the number will link you with that offer.

However pre-approval,pre-selected,pre-qualified mean nothing (FYI)

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Read the fine print of the offer regarding qualification/elegibility.  It should be under the section that highlights the elegibility criteria and their terms of the offer at the time you apply.  An item to keep in mind, these are not guaranteed approvals and the terms that will be offered to you (if approved) will depend on your overall profile once you decide to apply, regardless of which invitation you decide to use.

Message 3 of 8
Colorado2014

Ok thanks a bunch. I am happy with whatever they say if they pull my current report, I would just be disappointed if they used an older soft pull that was worse than my current credit picture.

Message 4 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Colorado2014 wrote:

Ok thanks a bunch. I am happy with whatever they say if they pull my current report, I would just be disappointed if they used an older soft pull that was worse than my current credit picture.

It will certainly be based off of the HP...

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yup.
If this helps, I just got approved with a 694 EXP FICO
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

This happened to my partner, I used the original pre-approval with the best APR after promo and it was instantly approved for $15k Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I only got $10,000. JEALOUS@creditaddict! Lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.