Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Pay Cut- Can't make min payments

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help! Pay Cut- Can't make min payments

Hello, I've been lurking around the forums for awhile, learning lots of great information, but now I need help.  I live in California and work for the University of California system.  Most employees are going to get pay cuts as of Sept.1 on a sliding scale.  I am in a large amount of credit card debt and have been making minimum payments, but with the pay cut and needing to help my mother (who also works for the UC system and will be getting a larger pay cut) with the mortgage of the house we bought together, I know I will not be able to keep making them. I have been looking for a 2nd job for over a month but I've been told I am competing with all the high school students who are not overqualified and will take less money.   I'm worried about calling my CCCs because I was burned by AMEX closing my account after I paid it down.  I know I've made poor choices and with the help of this forum have been striving to make better ones but I'm in such a deep hole I don't know what to do.  Any advice would be very appreciated!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help! Pay Cut- Can't make min payments

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello, I've been lurking around the forums for awhile, learning lots of great information, but now I need help.  I live in California and work for the University of California system.  Most employees are going to get pay cuts as of Sept.1 on a sliding scale.  I am in a large amount of credit card debt and have been making minimum payments, but with the pay cut and needing to help my mother (who also works for the UC system and will be getting a larger pay cut) with the mortgage of the house we bought together, I know I will not be able to keep making them. I have been looking for a 2nd job for over a month but I've been told I am competing with all the high school students who are not overqualified and will take less money.   I'm worried about calling my CCCs because I was burned by AMEX closing my account after I paid it down.  I know I've made poor choices and with the help of this forum have been striving to make better ones but I'm in such a deep hole I don't know what to do.  Any advice would be very appreciated!

I didn't pen the saying, so no offense intended:  "Beggars can't be choosers."

My point is that if you are "overqualified" that can be a plus.  Get a job for the "same money."  Don't let your credit go in the crapper because you won't work for the going wages.  Take what the market will pay until you can get your hours/pay back at the regular job.

Also look into getting a written budget and then eliminate all non-essentials.  Buy only generic/store brand food and personal care.  Turn the AC up to 80 and heat down to 65. 

Have a garage sale, ebay sale and craigslist sale.  Sell stuff you don't need, don't use, is a luxury you can live without.  Clean out the attic, closets, garage, storage unit, under bed, in the corners on top of shelves.  You might be surprised by how much your "stuff" might bring.

Call your CCC's and inquire about APR reductions.  You never know till you ask.

Contact your credit union about a consolidation loan that you can pay off or reduce debt and live with.

Consider renting out a room (if you have an extra one or make the room).  The extra cash can reduce your expenses.

Carpool.  Don't drive if you can walk or take public transit.

I hope you can work things out.  Good luck!  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Call each creditor, explain and ask what they offer in the way of *hardship* program.  I recently helped a friend.  Her minimums were cut to at least 50% and some gave her 0% interest, depending on the program she went with.

Also, try a CCC Service. 

Make a list of every dime you spend for two weeks.  You can easily see what cuts you can make from the budget.

Message 3 of 5
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I know for a fact that Discover and Citi will work with those in financial distress. I know someone personally who has been helped by both issuers.
Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 07-16-2009 05:09 PM
Message 4 of 5
onepaint

I feel for you.  I work for the state also and have taken a 15% pay cut in the last 5 months.  If Arnie decides to take 5% more away, I am going to be in real trouble.  And yes, I do the Dave Ramsey program.  Can't cut anymore out of my budget and have sold everything that isn't nailed down!Smiley Wink

Denise

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.