Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Reported Balances

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help! Reported Balances

From reading the forums I have come to the conclusion that generally, if one has multiple revolving credit accounts, producing the best CS will result in having one CC report <9% utl, while other CCs report a $0 balance.

If I practice this method and I ALWAYS USE THE SAME CCs to report a $0 balance over the course of lets say, 3 to 6 to 9 months to a year. What kind of affect will this have on my CS.

Assuming all cards are showing activity in regard to the CCCs.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Re: Help! Reported Balances

The effect of utilization on score is not cumulative. Your utilization this month does not influence your score in later months. While having only one card report a balance (and that balance between 5-9%) should maximize the utilization component of your score, having done the same thing for the previous year (or whatever time you pick) wont give any additional boost.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking in terms of only one account showing activity on my CR. Is this a bad thing? Or does it even matter?

Message 3 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I was thinking in terms of only one account showing activity on my CR. Is this a bad thing? Or does it even matter?

Having a balance of $0 month to month isn't the same as an inactive card.  Personally I don't risk it though and unless I'm apping for something, I leave some random amount of a few bucks and shrapnel on each and go on with life.  Some older analysis might assume an unchanging balance is inactivity; however, payments made in a month do get reported to the bureaus, so FICO is certainly sophisticated enough to see whether a card is inactive or not from that measure.

The only issue I've found with an unchanging balance, is sometimes it gets lost in the lender reporting for any given month (Discover seems to be prone to this especially) but I've had it happen personally with BOFA before.  As a result, I just vary my balances and haven't seen it be an issue across any of my tradelines... but also I charge a little something even on a card I really don't use, every month.  That's probably overkill, but it works for me.

        
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Having a balance of $0 month to month isn't the same as an inactive card.  Personally I don't risk it though and unless I'm apping for something, I leave some random amount of a few bucks and shrapnel on each and go on with life.  Some older analysis might assume an unchanging balance is inactivity; however, payments made in a month do get reported to the bureaus, so FICO is certainly sophisticated enough to see whether a card is inactive or not from that measure.

The only issue I've found with an unchanging balance, is sometimes it gets lost in the lender reporting for any given month (Discover seems to be prone to this especially) but I've had it happen personally with BOFA before.  As a result, I just vary my balances and haven't seen it be an issue across any of my tradelines... but also I charge a little something even on a card I really don't use, every month.  That's probably overkill, but it works for me.

I see, I wouldnt call it overkill. Better safe than sorry! Thanks for the help!

Message 5 of 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Not to hijack your thread, but... Smiley Tongue

I have only one card, would it be better to carry a small balance ($5-$10) ? or would I be better off paying to a $0 balance every month? 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

Not to hijack your thread, but... Smiley Tongue

I have only one card, would it be better to carry a small balance ($5-$10) ? or would I be better off paying to a $0 balance every month? 

With a CL of $3000. I would say it would be best to let your statement post with $270 or less. That way you would be utilizing 9% or less of your available credit. This is ideal based on what I've read.  Then when your credit card company asks for a minimum payment. Pay in full to avoid interest.

Hope this helps!

Message 7 of 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Thank you kindly for the info. Credit isn't as easy to handle as some of these high rollers make it seem. Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 9
Middleswarth
Frequent Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Thank you kindly for the info. Credit isn't as easy to handle as some of these high rollers make it seem. Smiley Very Happy

I think it is easy when you are not apping for cards or other loans.  Your FICO does not have to be at its peak all the time.  IMO, as long as the bills are paid don't worry about maxing your score.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.