cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help SO credit by adding as authorized user?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help SO credit by adding as authorized user?

SO credit has taken a hit from student loans and negative marks from his father (They have the same name and his father took out loans in SO name and never paid them) 

I'm wondering if adding him as on authorized user on my card (Chase Ritz specifically) would help boost his sub 600 credit at all? I know he will still have the other marks going against him ( he calls every month when something from his father appears to rectify) I pay on time and in full, but I'm also wondering if this would hurt my credit at all having him attached to my credit? 

He is not willing to try to apply to any CC since he's been shut down so many times in the past, its been about 4 years since he last applied. Anyone have any suggestions for CC that will approve low credit scores? He owns his own business and does really well, but he gets shut down when they see his score.

Thanks!

Young CC Noob. 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help SO credit by adding as authorized user?

@Anonymous wrote:

SO credit has taken a hit from student loans and negative marks from his father (They have the same name and his father took out loans in SO name and never paid them) 

I'm wondering if adding him as on authorized user on my card (Chase Ritz specifically) would help boost his sub 600 credit at all? I know he will still have the other marks going against him ( he calls every month when something from his father appears to rectify) I pay on time and in full, but I'm also wondering if this would hurt my credit at all having him attached to my credit? 

He is not willing to try to apply to any CC since he's been shut down so many times in the past, its been about 4 years since he last applied. Anyone have any suggestions for CC that will approve low credit scores? He owns his own business and does really well, but he gets shut down when they see his score.

Thanks!

Young CC Noob. 

Yes and no. Does he have ANY CC of his own?

Message 2 of 15
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

On a seperate note, if your SO did not sign the loans of his/her father, but they are on his/her reports, they need to be removed immeditaly.

That should be done first as no amount of positive additions (AU adding) will undo the negative marks.
AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

None. He's currently an authorized user on his mother's Capital One and on my Comenity (express) CC -(which was the last card he applied for and got denied) 

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

None. He's currently an authorized user on his mother's Capital One and on my Comenity (express) CC -(which was the last card he applied for and got denied) 

SDFCU Secured. Start there.

Message 5 of 15
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

Check CapOne prequal first. A friend of mine managed a QuicksilverOne with a 2k starting limit with 170k in current charge offs a couple weeks ago.\

EDIT: Unsecured.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Au cards help a lot. Of course the higher the limit and older the account along with low balances makes a difference.

He also needs to work on getting the accounts his dad put on his name off the reports.

I wouldn't tie up money on secured cards if you are in a relationship and can help him. Get aggressive and you guys can start clearing his name.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Au cards help a lot. Of course the higher the limit and older the account along with low balances makes a difference.

He also needs to work on getting the accounts his dad put on his name off the reports.

I wouldn't tie up money on secured cards if you are in a relationship and can help him. Get aggressive and you guys can start clearing his name.

And just why not? They need tradelines of their own and SDFCU is a GREAT place to start with this. Avoid the SCT except for one or two cards he may actually put regular use on.

I've said it before and again. If one can't afford to tie up a measily $500 to $1,000 on a secured card or two then they have much bigger things to worry about than credit cards.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And just why not? They need tradelines of their own and SDFCU is a GREAT place to start with this. Avoid the SCT except for one or two cards he may actually put regular use on.

I've said it before and again. If one can't afford to tie up a measily $500 to $1,000 on a secured card or two then they have much bigger things to worry about than credit cards.

$500 to $1000 is not measly to the vast majority of people nowadays who work at jobs with no raises and have ever increasing expenses.The point of getting au cards is to open the door for more credit than you could ever get for a long time starting from scratch with a starter or secured card.

Of course if there are negatives on the bureaus, a priority must be made to get deleted as many of them as possible, or scores won't rise as high as they need to, and new account access can be restricted, or if granted, limits will be lower.

I am a product of my own speak and so is my wife. If you have a clean file and 3-4 au cards with several years history, low balances under 10%, and larger limits like $3000 and up, that person will be able to get some cards at mainstream retailers and select banks with limits over $1000, some even as high as the au's limits.And those first cards that a person gets in his/her name solely with the benefits of the au history, will lead to other top tier cards in 6 months to 1 year.

But the derogs must be removed, or if 1 or 2 exist, they must be older.

I am not against secured cards per se, but only as a last resort if the bureaus and scores are so low that Capital One won't approve a $300 starter unsecured card.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I did the capitalOne pre-qual app (after he freaked that it would have a pull on his credit) and he was matched with the quicksilver and also the Capital one platinium (already au through his mother). How certain are these pre-quals ? Are they guaranteed to be approved?  He's terrified to even have an inquiry pull down his score any lower than it already is.  

If they are guaranteed approval, which one should he go for? 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.