Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Synchrony approval but don't want the account

tag
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Help! Synchrony approval but don't want the account

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey man, Sounds terrible. This approval had to be done a few days or weeks ago. An instant approval for a card never hits your report the same day it gets approved, I believe. If that ever happens again, I'd call the issuing bank and shut down the new accunt, the same days, minute, hour it was approved - if you do not want it.

I applied a few days ago. The inquiry hit the same day. And, according to myfico, the approved amount showed up on my Experian report today.

Starting Score (May 2017): 584 TU
Current Scores: 752 TU, 717 EQ, 750 EX

Goal Score: 820+

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

As others have said, unfortunately it is opened and has a home on your credit report. I made the same mistake almost 8 years ago with the Walmart Discover card. Applied out of boredom, got approved for $1500 (I didnt realize that GEMB/GECRB-today's Synch-offered large increases) so I closed the account. It has always bothered me that this darn card that I opened in 2009, never made a purchase with, never made a payment to, is on my credit report. It was only opened for three weeks.

I tried writing Synch starting in 2014 at their Walmart address asking them to remove the trade. Nope. I've disputed it on all three bureaus. Nope. So now that blasted shell of an account will report until 8/2019. A long time for a mistake made while not thinking.

My point: you could always write to Synch explaining the situation and ask if they will delete the trade from your bureaus. Otherwise, you can either keep it or close it but it will likely remain on your bureaus for 10 years.....

Message 12 of 16
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Your chance to AA Synchrony by closing the account.

Smiley LOL  I love it!! 

Starting Score (May 2017): 584 TU
Current Scores: 752 TU, 717 EQ, 750 EX

Goal Score: 820+

Message 13 of 16
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Is it feasible to convert this financial account to a credit card (product change instead of applying for a new credit card using the same HP within a month)? In this case, it might be a good option.

Anyway, a good recommendation is before contacting customer service for product change, CC application, etc., lock all the credits to avoid having unwanted HP.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@xenon3030 wrote:

Is it feasible to convert this financial account to a credit card (product change instead of applying for a new credit card using the same HP within a month)? In this case, it might be a good option.

Anyway, a good recommendation is before contacting customer service for product change, CC application, etc., lock all the credits to avoid having unwanted HP.

Illegal formation, 5 yards penalty.
Message 15 of 16
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey man, Sounds terrible. This approval had to be done a few days or weeks ago. An instant approval for a card never hits your report the same day it gets approved, I believe. If that ever happens again, I'd call the issuing bank and shut down the new accunt, the same days, minute, hour it was approved - if you do not want it.

Synchrony has been known to report very quickly.

OP, close the account if you'd like. Or just let it sit there without using it.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.