Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Trying to avoid Amex Late

tag
sandsanta
Contributor

Re: Help! Trying to avoid Amex Late

Pay over time is definitely subject to credit approval. They will also revoke it if you continually carry high balances without paying any of them down.

Message 11 of 20
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

While this is not a healthy long-term strategy, if you have $400 available on Discover and $850 available on an Amex revolver, any expenses you have where you would pay cash can be put on those cards and that cash can be used to pay off your Amex charge balance.  You can revolve on the other cards so that would give you some time to pay them down.  That might not get you the whole way there if you don't have $1000 worth of bills in the next few days, but it can get you part of the way there perhaps and avoid BT fees.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 20
sandsanta
Contributor

If you balance transfer to another card to clear what you owe on your Gold Card, make sure to drawer it for a couple of months until you can pay your other balances down as well.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

To the OP:  There is thread somewhere around here with someone in a similar situation.  Due to unemployment or some other unexpected financial hardship (I can't remember the details) this individual realized he/she would be unable to pif on their AMEX charge card.  They called AMEX and, iirc, AMEX offered to give them 6 months to pay it off with no negative reporting or additional fees.

I'll try to find the thread, but you should definitely call AMEX and see if they will work with you.  Good luck!

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@andre181 wrote:

Did you ask if your account is eligible for Amex's Pay Over Time? That might help reduce the amount you have to pay.

https://www212.americanexpress.com/dsmlive/dsm/dom/us/en/phaseib/payovertime_loc_nomr.do?vgnextoid=5...

I was offered this when I was approved for the PR Gold, I was told it was by invitation only, I accepted it, I have never used it nor do I plan on ever using it, however, it is nice knowing it's there in case something ever comes up where I couldn't pay it in full by the due date.

I Wish you the very best, and I hope you get this resolved without any AA.

Message 15 of 20
rbizzle
Contributor

I know when i was having trouble at the beginning of this year I asked if there was some sort of payment plan i could get on bc i wasn't able to pay my balance in full on my card.  They did offer a payment plan of $70 a month for xx amount of months until the balance was paid in full.  But during that time period the card was shut off and I wasn't allowed to use it.  But atleast it didn't result in any lates being placed on my credit report.  I still have my zync card and don't have any problems with them.

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to bring up another sob story to this thread. I was able to pay off the debt owed in November as this thread outlines. I am having trouble now paying off November's charges as I've had another large hit at work. I currently owe roughly $1800 on my Gold Account, which I took the liberty of closing myself a month and a half ago. What is a recommended solution? I do not have the money to pay in full (which was due in early Jan) and haven't recieved any calls yet, although I'm sure that will start fairly soon. 

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would call Amex and see if they'll let you do a payment plan to pay off the balance. You could always /try/ to apply for another card and do a BT, but it's not like you're guaranteed to get approved for anything. But at least with a revolving card you'd have months to pay it off.

Message 18 of 20
dnice77
Regular Contributor

Can you return something large  purchased on the card

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 744 Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm going to bring up another sob story to this thread. I was able to pay off the debt owed in November as this thread outlines. I am having trouble now paying off November's charges as I've had another large hit at work. I currently owe roughly $1800 on my Gold Account, which I took the liberty of closing myself a month and a half ago. What is a recommended solution? I do not have the money to pay in full (which was due in early Jan) and haven't recieved any calls yet, although I'm sure that will start fairly soon. 

Try applying for this Barclay Card https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=1583&cellNumber=6&referrerid=IMRPPCBR

Based on your 680 fico score you have a good chance of being approved....if you decide to apply put in the BT request during the application and hopefully they will approve you for at least $2k

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.