Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, can my 18 yo apply?

tag
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

Help, can my 18 yo apply?

Hi, my son is 18, I have made him an AU on a few of my cards, I made him AU on my highest lines all in 5 digits with a 1-3% util, his credit karma shows a 771 score with 3yrs aaoa since Amex started him at 1 month, he somehow inherited my age of account on the other 2. Can he apply for a cc? I have heard that if your under 21 and not in collage which he isn't that he would need a co signer or proof of income, he has not filed taxes yet? Any info would help

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help, can my 18 yo apply?

@slap_happy wrote:
Hi, my son is 18, I have made him an AU on a few of my cards, I made him AU on my highest lines all in 5 digits with a 1-3% util, his credit karma shows a 771 score with 3yrs aaoa since Amex started him at 1 month, he somehow inherited my age of account on the other 2. Can he apply for a cc? I have heard that if your under 21 and not in collage which he isn't that he would need a co signer or proof of income, he has not filed taxes yet? Any info would help

Under the Credit Card Act of 2009 anyone under 21 has to have income to support any credit granted or needs a cosigner.  Is your son employed and have a decent income?

Message 2 of 6
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Does he have income? He may need at least $10k a year if he's not in school and not going for student cards. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 3 of 6
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

He's on pace to earn roughly 30,000 but has not paid taxes yet, this is the first time he has earned money

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is all good to know... this is why I love MyFico!!! Going to follow this thread to see what other bits of info I can learn.  Thanks!! Smiley Happy 

Message 5 of 6
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

My nephew who just turned 18 got a $4,000 approval from NFCU... Has no current employment, and is not yet in school.. Although he is going to go to UCI in August.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.