Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help cap1 unauthorized charges

tag
recoverysauce
Valued Member

Help cap1 unauthorized charges

OK so about a month ago I received about 8 unauthorized charges to cap1 from google* I did not authorize these.

I contacted cap1, they sent new card. activated it, SD it, and 2 days later get more charges from same google account.

I contacted Cap1 they sent new card but we also contacted google and they let cap1 know these are nothing I could have charged. It was charge from another google account.

So received 3rd card did not even activate online called it in to make sure not a computer issue for security. should not be use a reputable security suite. Today logged into my account and again more charges about 20 of them.

I have changed password to cap1 site befopre gettig 3rd card, I ran virus and malware scans on both pc and cell phone, nothing detected. 

Any advice? It is my longest history active account currently or i would just close it.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Help cap1 unauthorized charges

That's a nightmare.

Has Capital One changed your credit card account number? If they have, it is really strange that the Google-rogue account would follow you that quickly.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 14
recoverysauce
Valued Member

Yes they changed the number 2 times now, and no one else seen the card and I have not used it (both new cards) the card.

Them Bam charges show up. only me and cap1 have seen the card. and with cap1 we contacted google about it but the same name for the charges is coming up over and over.

Cap1 said they can't disable google from charging to my card because they are major approved payment source or something.

I never have given google anything with that account.

Also several months ago about 6-7 I had a issue with Continental finance I just paid and closed it, but those were purchases to MAC Mall in CA. not google.

Message 3 of 14
Appleman
Valued Contributor

You may want to see who else might have had access to your user name and password. Ex-spouse? Had a party and someone saw your info? 

Hopefully you have changed the infor for your Cap1 account.

I am really interested to hear how this turns out. You have got to be going nuts over this (I know I would). How much are the charges for?

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Appleman wrote:

You may want to see who else might have had access to your user name and password. Ex-spouse? Had a party and someone saw your info? 

Hopefully you have changed the infor for your Cap1 account.

I am really interested to hear how this turns out. You have got to be going nuts over this (I know I would). How much are the charges for?

There's a million things that could be generating charges through Google... I would suggest contacting Google's fraud dept and discussing this with them. I'm sure there's some obscure program that's linking and charging your card. While not related, I had an issue with a google app gobbling up all of my phone data unbenownst to me... It took a call to fix the issue. The problem is with google, not CapOne.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try changing 1) email password 2) Cap 1 password and 3) C1 account number all the same day.  What are you using for antivirus and malware?  Because we own a business and most of clients are major firms we run commercial grade antivirus and malware (it finds stuff that that Macfee never would find) on both home and office computers.  Some one may have  your email password or put a keylogger virus on your computer.  It is very hard to say for sure what has happened. 

Message 6 of 14
recoverysauce
Valued Member

As of right now here is the situation

google said I didn't make the charges, Cap1 said I didn't make the charges. So they froze my account so no one else can charge on it including me. I can still make payments. I plan on just paying it off and close the account as of right now.

Cap 1 don't even know where they originated from, how can you approve the charge not knowing an address? Disgusted right now.

using eset security for poster who asked on all my devices. all devices swept and scanned deep scan. no infections also I changed all my passwords before I even got the card.

Message 7 of 14
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Can you clarify, please... Were these Google charges coming from YOUR Google account, or somebody else's?

Did you use the third card online at anytime, either via phone or PC? Could be malware. Try a scan with Malwarebytes. Could be a card scanner is attached to the pump at your favorite gas station.

How long did you have the latest card before the fraud charges hit? Take a look at what legitimate charges you made... One of those legitimate charges is the one that the fraudster got your info from.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 8 of 14
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Sorry, re-read and saw that you didn't use the card at all.

Do you enter your card information into any sort of spreadsheet? Identity-theft repair service? My bank used to offer a service where you list all your CC's and numbers, and if anything happened, they would contact cards. Anything like that?

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 9 of 14
alkaline
Regular Contributor

If more Google transactions were authorized on the new card number, it sounds like the Google transactions registered as "recurring" and the new card number was automatically provided to Google.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.