cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help choosing a card for a 1YR rebuilder! :)

tag
txmetalhead
Established Member

Help choosing a card for a 1YR rebuilder! :)

So, when I was a senior in high school it seemed so easy and effortless to get approved for credit. Hehehe needless to say, I was 18 and not always the most responsible. Maxed out my credit cards, didn't pay on 'em, etc. Anyway, I'll give you an overview of the details so anybody who has any good recommendations on a credit card that would be good, PLEASE do not hesitate to let me know! Thank you!!! 

BADDIES:

-2007: 2 CCs each with a $500 CL (One from First Financial Bank - paid off! Just need to get some INFO corrected. The other from Capital One - STILL in collections) - collections/charge-off in 2008. Paid of 1FB in Fall of 2009

-2008: 1 store CC with a $300 CL from JCP...paid off that summer. Closed by JCP as DELIQUENT & immediately paid off, but never sent to collections! WHEW!

CREDIT NOW:

-Avoided credit for roughly 5 years, but began doing my research and applied for 2 last summer. Approved for both...see below!
-2013 Summer: opened 2 CCs: one a $200 limit on a Secured MC with Capital One - I increased limit by $50 a month later & they gave a $100 CLI in December.

The other one with a $300 limit on a Credit One VISA - no CLIs whatsoever.
     · Pay more than minimum each month. No lates. Had high utilization for a while, but am DEF working on that now. Credit One has less than 5% Util Rate right now. Capital One I will pay down the same.
-2014 (April): opened a $600 CL with Fingerhut. Have used $200 of credit but paying $35+/mo.

RECENT INQUIRIES:
-Fingerhut obviously
-2 auto loan inquiries (counted as 1 because I applied to both on the same day) - did not take either loan. They both just fell off my reports (were from 2012).

-Walmart card - DENIED! Smiley Sad

That's about all I care to bore y'all with for now! I am getting married soon and also desperately need a new car! Smiley Sad I'm gonna buy an older car though...may buy cash but would prefer to get a small auto loan with USAA and buy something at $8K or under then buy new later down the road.

I'm looking for a card I can approved for like the Capital One Quicksilver One card (I'm kinda obsessed with finding out how I can get approved for it! LOL)...so, PLEASE help me out with any tips/info/advice/etc.! THANK YOU!! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 618 EQ / 629 CK
Current Score: 618 EQ / 629 CK
Goal Score: 700 for ALL 3 CRAs

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
fot1
Established Contributor

Re: Help choosing a card for a 1YR rebuilder! :)

Have you pulled any scores yet?.. With your file I wouldn't carry a balance other then one card %9 or under..

I would suggest trying for the Cap one platnium card and later PC that to a quicksilver... Getting Denied with Walmart makes me think the scores are still pretty low.. may need to wait it out some more..

Too many to list..
Message 2 of 3
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Help choosing a card for a 1YR rebuilder! :)

i think you can check for pre-qual at cap1 (with no HP) on their website. it will show you what card they think you will get if you apply.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.