Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help choosing first card

tag
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Help choosing first card

I don't disagree with anything that you stated. I do however think it prudent to find out real information about actual credit history info. How can anyone recommend credit to someone not knowing where they stand with regards to FICO or history? For all we know- OP might not be eligible for even Cap One. Also- why recommend a card that has no possible opportunity to grow when there are better opportunities out there? Cap One is notorious for dead end cards. Plus it's 3 HP to all CRA. To make a real recommendation- it's best to find out as much as possible first to optimize opportunity.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 11 of 16
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

YMMV of course, but it is by no means a guaranty of approval for a prime card by only being an AU on a card in good standing. Yes lenders will look at FICO scores but it is what's behind them that matters. Being only an AU likely will not land a person in primeville for their first own credit card. I don't mean Cap One newcomers to be the be all end all card for the OP, but for what it is I believe it does the job of establishing credit. It was my first card back in August 2011 and by February I was approved for Amex Green. It can quickly be used as a stepping stone to bigger and better cards. I understand what you are saying, but the HP's early on are not the end of the world. At this point the goal should be just to get some sild payment history under his/her belt.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 12 of 16
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Agreed- YMMV. However- really? May not be a guarantee but wouldn't starting out with Amex Zync or a Citi Forward card really be a better start? Why start with a starter when one could start out so much better. If HPs aren't an issue and OPs file isn't bad- why not try for something better? My niece had success as an AU. JMHO. However- I haven't recommended any apps at all because I don't even know what the OPs file looks like and I just don't believe it's prudent to offer advice on apps when I don't have that info. Not meaning to be argumentive but It just doesn't seem right offering this advice with out credit history.

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 13 of 16
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

"Right now I'm an AU on one of my parents' Chase Slate card. Been on that for a few years, and got a credit report earlier in the year just to see what my report is looking like and the Chase is in good standing, no late payments or anything. Though not sure if it helps much since I'm just an AU. But right now I think it's time to get my own card."

I applied for Citi Forward the same day as Amex green (approved) and was denied for the forward due to a lack of having two credit card accounts open for at least a year. The OP mentions that he/she does not have a credit card of his/own so from my experience just one AU card probably is not enough from Amex Zync or Citi Forward (YMMV of course). I am not sayin that the OP has to do this, just saying that this is my experience and the Capital One card has worked out well for starting out my own credit.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 14 of 16
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

I am glad that this is enough info for you to offer your advice. I however refrain till I get more info. My questions were addressed to the OP. If the OP wishes to elaborate - Great! Otherwise- I wish the best. I am happy about your experiences. However- this isn't about you for me. I think there are better opportunities that might be available then a dead end starter card. It is the very reason I offered my history to my niece as an AU. I wanted more for her and she got it. I would think that is how the OP would like to start out as well. We all have our own experiences- that is what makes the myFICO forums so awesome. I am not saying my advice will be better then yours- but I do believe that the question was put to advice from the whole forum.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info so far guys.

@improvingmycredit wrote:
Being an AU on someone's established account can go a long way. I added my niece as an AU recently. Got an Amex Zync and Citi with no history of her own. I still think that it'd be best to know more info regarding actual FICO- AAoA- inqs- utility- before determining which cards to recommend. JMO. Smiley Happy

I can give you the other info outside of the FICO, and again the Chase being the only account. Other than my report request, one other INQ and that was for employment purposes; 15 year account, 24% util.

Not saying I wouldn't consider Cap One but I have read about Cap being a "dead end" card so was gearing away from them. I know this will be my first solo card but actually I'm very good with my finances. I don't really charge a lot and try not to make unnecessary purchases that I can afford (use my debit card more tbh). Never bothered to get a card while I was in school because I wasn't really working at the time and didn't want to put myself in any risk of any potential trouble or unwanted debt. Not sure if that last part helps in anyway but just thought I'd put it out there.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.