Help choosing my first CC?

tag
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

Re: Help choosing my first CC?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OK - i'll give that site a look.

Thanks everyone for the guidance! And once I get the cards I'll call and see if I can get a SP for a higher CLI.

I'm abbreviating now, too!

I would stick with 2 cards and learn the in and outs of them before moving forward and applying for more cards.  There is alot more to credit cards than just applying and having them sit in your wallet.  Learn about HP's, SP, CLI, PC, Cut dates.  

Use and abuse your cards for a few months and PIF.  Make sure you can use your available credit and not get caught over your head like so many of us have done.  Do not let these credit cards destroy your credit.  

This is the best piece of advice on this thread. Except for my advice of course. Mine is better. Smiley Very Happy But this here is sound solid advice. New cards can make or break your credit. With great buying power comes great buying responsibility. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 101 of 109
Anonymous
Not applicable

Major Congrats on your 2 new Cards!!!  Smiley Happy

Message 102 of 109
Septrosh
New Contributor

Grats on the cards and best of luck!

Message 103 of 109
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks and dually noted.

I do not want to take on more unecessary debt (other than paying off these dang student loan bills, and building credit with small purchases). Maybe I've read too many credit debt horror stories, and I don't want to end up that way. Or maybe it's the frugality in me, lol.

Message 104 of 109
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks and dually noted.

I do not want to take on more unecessary debt (other than paying off these dang student loan bills, and building credit with small purchases). Maybe I've read too many credit debt horror stories, and I don't want to end up that way. Or maybe it's the frugality in me, lol.

Frugal is good. I have student loans too and I know the pain. Good luck with those. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 105 of 109
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

My first card ever with no loans and etc was a Discover It card unsecured with a $750 limit. That has now become $6,000. I got it done with no loans and no prior history but took about 25 HP's on my reports to get it started. Three years later I have 25 accounts which some I have been considering closing for months now.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 106 of 109
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in the garden until january because of an inquiry for my walmart store card, but once that has cleared I want to try and get a credit card.  Here are my critereon/goals/scores:

• lowest score 748
  • don't want annual fee
  • plan on PIF every month
  • Only need to spend about $1000 per month
  • Want enough signup bonus to get a free or cheap roundtrip flight overseas

So far the only card I have looked at is the Ebates Signature Visa card.  It gives cash back on most things at ebates, of course excuding most travel (d'oh).

So what card would you guys get in this scenario?  I have until january so time is not a factor here.  Vary curious since there is so much out there, what is a good deal for me and what is not.  It seems like the best bonus for signups are for cards that are hard to get and have annual fee. 

Message 107 of 109
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update: It's been a few months since I posted. I applied for both cards (Chase Freedom and QuicksilverOne) and was qualified for both. I just recently checked my FiCo score and it is now at 729. For reference, I started at 648.

Message 108 of 109
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 109 of 109
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.