Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help fico dropping rapidly

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help fico dropping rapidly

I have 2 credit cards and one was a builder card from capital which has a 750.00 limit forever. I only charge my cost for myfico and pay off monthly. I got a barckly back in march whith $1500 limit and my score dropped from 701 to 690 then 2 weeks ago I got a fico score alert saying it dropped again to 680 when nothing changed on my report and the alert said it changed when nothing had changed.  Well I made a purchase of alittle over 300 and paid all but $150 off on it this month (could have paid it off and should have) it shows on my credit report that I am at a 8% ratio on my credit but I just recieved a score alert and my score dropped to 665

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I thought an 8% was good when I do not have any other outstanding debt other than my home.

I guess I am not supposed to have credit Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Help fico dropping rapidly

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 2 credit cards and one was a builder card from capital which has a 750.00 limit forever. I only charge my cost for myfico and pay off monthly. I got a barckly back in march whith $1500 limit and my score dropped from 701 to 690 then 2 weeks ago I got a fico score alert saying it dropped again to 680 when nothing changed on my report and the alert said it changed when nothing had changed.  Well I made a purchase of alittle over 300 and paid all but $150 off on it this month (could have paid it off and should have) it shows on my credit report that I am at a 8% ratio on my credit but I just recieved a score alert and my score dropped to 665

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I thought an 8% was good when I do not have any other outstanding debt other than my home.

I guess I am not supposed to have credit Smiley Sad

You are not doing anything wrong.   You got a new account with a good limit which is good.   But it changed your AAofA and it added an inquiry which lowers the score.  You carried a balance 1 month which is fine.   But is changed your utilization and lower your score, temporarily. 

As you build up your credit history, with new accounts and  bigger limits, more time and usage, the FICO score will seesaw up and down and improvements in score will generally lag behind.

Utilization is 30% of your score and it will make your FICO score vary a lot.    When you need a good score for credit application, you can pay your balances early to report 0 or low utilization to optimize the score. 

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.