Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me choose a Mastercard

tag
DVH1980
Contributor

Help me choose a Mastercard

Been killing builders and adding prime cards the last couple months and still need a good MC. After I get my MC and Amex I should be set for my credit card needs.

My current lineup:

USAA Rewards Visa, 3k limit, used as my everyday spending card

Local CU Visa, 3500 limit, used to pay my 2 car loans that are also through the CU

Discover More, 3k limit, use this for the 5% categories and also for bigger purchases since it has no interest for 18 months

Barclays Apple, 3500 limit, only used to pay my netflix to show activity

Cap 1 Mastercard, 750 limit, will be dropping this one today!

USAA Secured Amex, 500 limit, got this to get my foot in the door with USAA, I also use is for buying electronics/appliances to take advantage of buyer protection/extended warranty. Hopefull getting a true Amex next month and this will be closed after the 2 years is up.

So after closing my Cap 1 that will leave a hole in the MC department. The wife and I are starting to travel a little more so maybe a MC geared towards that? What are some of the better MC's you are carrying? I tried for the Barclays Rewards MC but becasue im a resident of IA, they wont issue me one.

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
DVH1980
Contributor

Re: Help me choose a Mastercard

Here a quick breakdown of my crdit profile:

TU FICO-697

EX FAKO-679

EQ Fako-679

2 derogs, 5+ years old

AAOA-1.2 years

INQ in the last year,  4-ex, 4-tu, 5-eq

UTL- 13%

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 2 of 31
melbaro
New Contributor

You could probably go for a Chase Freedom MasterCard. You may get a 7-10 day message, but you would probably have success in recon. Make sure you go through the MasterCard website to apply though.

Message 3 of 31
DVH1980
Contributor

Ive considered this option, it seems as though Chase offers relatively low initial credit limits. I actually have a charged off Chase account from 12 years ago so Im not sure if they would issue me a card anyways.

Message 4 of 31
DVH1980
Contributor

I was thinking about Citi for a MC, not sure if my current scores/profile will get me in the door though.

Message 5 of 31
LS2982
Mega Contributor

You might be blacklisted by Chase but 12 yrs is a long time, you may be able to get back in. Your other CL's would help you get a decent limit from them.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 31
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I was offered a 5k initial limit
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 31
DVH1980
Contributor

@LS2982, Thats what I was thinking. I wasnt sure if they black listed or not.

Message 8 of 31
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Only way to know is to try! I'm in the same boat with Citi, 10 yr old CO I'm hoping they have forgiven. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 31
DVH1980
Contributor

Intersting, I was digging through my credit rebuild book and was looking through my previous denial letters and found one from Chase. I guess I apped with them back in May on a mini app spree, only denial reason listed:

"Your credit report reflects delinquent past/present credit obligations"

Hmmmm

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.