cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me choose a general spend card...

tag
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

Re: Help me choose a general spend card...

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

@axledobe wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

Hm. I'd say either the Freedom (UR points are solid) or Discover (good cashback plus free FICO with statement).

What a true hero, still recommending Chase...

<3

I still like Chase haha. They were justified for taking AA against me. Smiley Happy

grinlikechelsea - I commend you greatly on your attitude and postive outlook through all of that.  

OP- Take a look at Huntington National Bank's "Voice" card.  It gives you 3% back on one category each quarter and one of the few that still lets you choose utilities (gas, electric, water and most cable services).  It's 1% back on everything else.  And although folks like to thrash, bash, kick and curse CapOne, 1.5% on everything and being able to redeem at any time is hard to beat.  Smiley Happy

Thank you. I know Chase is trying to protect themselves and I respect their decision. I am very grateful they let me keep my accounts as well. In the end, I had a fairly positive outcome. Smiley Happy

I have the Voice, and I can confirm that utilities is an option. I use mine for drug stores, which is handy as well. They have a bunch of different categories, but you can only change every quarter (except the first 30 days you have the card). The website is clunky, but it gets the job done.

Also, I know you don't have this card, but the Fidelity AmEx is my go to card, and my Capital One Venture is my backup if AmEx isn't accepted. I like both of those cards and I highly recommend them!

You're quite welcome.  I think most people would have complained and taken it personally.  It's good to see such a postive, understanding outlook.  Plus, you have some awesome cards still.  I plan to apply for the Voice as soon as my CRA's update.  I will be over 800 (likely 810ish) EQ when that happens.  My highest limit so far is 2.5K.  I hope they come back with something respectful.  Smiley Happy  Hoping for my first 5K.

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 21 of 24
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

I think you'll get a 5K limit as long as your income supports it. From my experience, Huntington likes being your biggest limit. I'm curious what they'll do if they notice the CLI on my AmEx, but I may turn down their CLI in light of recent events.

All Voices are WMCs regardless of limit, according to one of the bankers. Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 24
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

I think you'll get a 5K limit as long as your income supports it. From my experience, Huntington likes being your biggest limit. I'm curious what they'll do if they notice the CLI on my AmEx, but I may turn down their CLI in light of recent events.

All Voices are WMCs regardless of limit, according to one of the bankers. Smiley Happy

Just a tad bit shy of 50K income.  Nothing spectacular but we shall see.  Fingers crossed.

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 23 of 24
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@axledobe wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

Just a tad bit shy of 50K income.  Nothing spectacular but we shall see.  Fingers crossed.

If that's the case and your utilization is okay, I would bet money you'll get at least a 5K. Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.