cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me choose a new card!

tag
makaeva

Help me choose a new card!

I've read so many posts that my eyes are going numb, so I think it's time to just make my own thread. I'm in the market for a new CC that I'd like to use for a BT first. My current cards are a BoA Platinum Plus ($2K), my bank's CC ($2K), a Barclaycard ($1K), a Chase Amazon ($3K, just given a CLI from $2K), and a Chase Marriott ($6.5K, just given a CLI from $5K). I'm also an AU on a US Bank CC my parents have ($18K). My Barclay TU score is 751 as of April 1st 2014, but I don't know what the others are.

I have close to $0 balances on most of the cards except the Marriott, as I was using that most often, and that's the one I want to BT from. It's at about 40% utilization and while I plan to have it paid off in the next 3-4 months, I'd rather BT it and have 0% APR. Plus, I haven't gotten a new card in a few years and just re-enrolled for the prescreening offers and they're all so tempting. Smiley Surprised

I keep receiving the Citi Simplicity and Discover it offers in the mail, so those two are on my list. My latest mail from Discover says a 12.99% APR after the initial 0% APR for 12 months and $0 BT fee. The Simplicity mail says 13.99% APR after the initial 0% APR for 18 months but with a 3% BT fee. I don't really mind the 3% if it's a better card. I also got an invitation for the AmEx Everyday card which has a 0% APR for BTs for 12 months I believe but with a 3% BT fee, too. I think I'd like something with perks if I want to keep using it after the BT. I also travel fairly often, though my Marriott card is chip&sig and once Target comes out with their chip&pin, I'll probably app for their card. So forex fees aren't a consideration with the new card I want to use for BT now.

So what does everyone think? Which card should I choose?

Thanks!! This is a great site! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
newUser0
Established Contributor

Re: Help me choose a new card!

I would go for a Freedom for a 0% for 15 months (not sure). Also currently, Freedom has a 20K bonus offer & no AF.

Message 2 of 5
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

SallieMae Rewards, for 0% for first 12 months, 3% balance transfer fee.

5% cash back on Grocery Stores ($250/month), Gas Stations($250/month), and Book Stores (Amazon.com)($750/month)

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 3 of 5
makaeva

For the Freedom, can I BT between Chase cards? I thought I couldn't.

I'll check out the SallieMae one, thanks!
Message 4 of 5
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@makaeva wrote:
For the Freedom, can I BT between Chase cards? I thought I couldn't.

Correct, you can't BT between Chase cards.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.