Help me choose just one more CC

tag
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Re: Help me choose just one more CC

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

I think you're right.

They just changed this.  It use to be that 5% cats did not count and was unlimited.  This was there standard offer.  I guessed it just changed this month.

It's actually been that way for a while. My TY Preferred card (see signature below) was originally a Dividend card from 05/2011 and it already imposed $300 limit back then.

That may have been true for you.

But for new accounts this was not the case.  I know because I read it.  And they specially said that for 5% cats, spending is unlimited and is not included in the $300 max.

This had been their standard offer on their website up until the last time I checked..which was last month.  I am guessing that they changed this standard offer for new accounts this month.

Message 21 of 30
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

But for new accounts this was not the case.  I know because I read it.  And they specially said that for 5% cats, spending is unlimited and is not included in the $300 max.

This had been their standard offer on their website up until the last time I checked..which was last month.  I am guessing that they changed this standard offer for new accounts this month.

Weird. I applied my card back online from Citi and nothing explicit about it. My Dividend T&C (which I still have, doesn't mention 5% is exception as well). Where did you find this offer? Had Citi recently imposed $300 annual limit there would've been news, which there weren't.

Message 22 of 30
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

No, AFAIK the $300 max was always there.  But it didn't apply to the 5% cats.  So, If I had racked up thousands of dollars in Cash Back in the 5% cats, then all that money would have been Cash Back in my pocket.  

The spending not in the 5% cats was restricted to the $300 max. 

It was just on their site in two places.  But now i notice where it now says specifially "Bonus cash back earned is included in your $300 annual maximum accumulation."

Message 23 of 30
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

No, AFAIK the $300 max was always there.  But it didn't apply to the 5% cats.  So, If I had racked up thousands of dollars in Cash Back in the 5% cats, then all that money would have been Cash Back in my pocket.  

It was just on their site in two places.  But now i notice where it now says specifially "Bonus cash back earned is included in your $300 annual maximum accumulation."

That's what I am talking about. Had 5% been recently included into the annual limit, you would've seen it on couple credit card blogs. Since there have been no news going around for Dividend card, I'm convinced that Citi had already restricted 5% cashback earning a long while ago.

Message 24 of 30
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

That's what I am talking about. Had 5% been recently included into the annual limit, you would've seen it on couple credit card blogs. Since there have been no news going around for Dividend card, I'm convinced that Citi had already restricted 5% cashback earning a long while ago.

Actually I disagree with that.  There were many CC blogs saying that Citi's Dividend Promotion was $100 CB if $500 were spent in the first 3 months. Older Promo.

When in fact at the time the promo was 150 CB if $500 were spent in the first 3 months.  This Promo just (JUST) ended.

Now its back to $100.

If my eye witness account isn't enough to convince you, then theres nothing more I can say. 

*If you want to know about anything about CCs and the T&C probably best to read it directly from the source and not a 3rd party blog, just sayin'*

Message 25 of 30
irving_magik
Regular Contributor

Thanks to everyone that replied. So far this has been very informative.

Lots of talk about the Citi card but to be honest, that's off the list.

I think I've narrowed it down to the US Bank or the Sapphire.

Of these two, I just need some votes, one way or another.
Fico Scores: TU 700 (10/12/2016) EQ 729 (10/01/2016) EX 713 (10/01/16)

AMEX BCP $25,000 (opened 09/2012) - Citi TYP $12,000 (opened 12/2012) Chase Sapphire Preffered $6000 (opened 09/2012)
Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regarding US Bank and Sapphire - votes zero and zero. IMHO!

Message 27 of 30
irving_magik
Regular Contributor

Zero to zero really?

Anyone else?
Fico Scores: TU 700 (10/12/2016) EQ 729 (10/01/2016) EX 713 (10/01/16)

AMEX BCP $25,000 (opened 09/2012) - Citi TYP $12,000 (opened 12/2012) Chase Sapphire Preffered $6000 (opened 09/2012)
Message 28 of 30
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Why not do both? No harm in going for both. If I had to choose I would go for cash +
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 29 of 30
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

I vote for the Cash+ because of the 5% bill pay category.  I literally become giddy when I pay my monthly bills and it's all due to this card.  I have only had this card just over 3 months and I'm going to cash out another $100 in rewards (actually $125 due to the $25 bonus Visa gift card) next week after my statement cuts on the 23rd.  So that's $375 in cash back in 3 1/2 months.  You must get this card!!  Good luck!!

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.