Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me choose please?

tag
drave199
Established Member

Help me choose please?

So im 21 and live at home still (please hold the criticism) and i work full time (about 21k per year) and full time student. i currently have the student platinum from BofA for the past 3 years. i recently applied for the bank americard cash rewards card and got denied. it said "the amount of credit extened to you is adequate and you do not have sufficient established revolving credit accounts." Beside the credit card i only have a car loan on my credit account. about 2k left. so did i get denaied because i dont have enough credit accounts open? all of my accounts are in perfect condition with no late payments so i dont know why they denied me. i mean, how do they expect people to build credit when they dont give the opportunity?

anyway, i want to get another card for just gas and groceries and other everyday purchases. i have a zero balance on my current card and plan on keeping a zero balance on the new card. i want to apply for a card that i know ill have a good chance at getting because i dont want to keep applying to cards and hurting my credit score. 

which card do you reccomend? one card i had in mind was the blue cash everyday from american exress? or the blue cash preferred but that has a $75 annual fee. not sure if the rewards would out weigh the fee? one last one was the chase freedom but not sure if my credit is good enough for that?

my spending habbits arent very expensive so take that into account. usually about $160 a month on gas. maybe $100 on groceries and about $100 on other stuff.

so thanks for all your help and suggestions. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help me choose please?

I may as well suggest the Sallie Mae MC before everyone else does.  BCE could work if you're just trying to get in with AMEX.  What are you scores like?

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 8
fargobzn
Contributor

Have you checked Chase's website for pre-approvals? 

Discover IT may be another one to consider, July-September you'll get 5% back on gas. It is a lot like the freedom card, you could check their website as well. Of course pre-approved isn't a sure thing but it is better than nothing. 

Message 3 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

1. call BofA:  866-618-4585 (Sr Credit Analyst and see about reconing that app you applied for... tell them you would consider moving credit line from your existing card to get it for the better rewards.

2. check pre-qual for chase and discover (they would be good rotating cards that sound like they would meet your spending and no AF and discover likes newer credit.

3. I would apply for the new amex every day card.

those would be my 3-4 apps.

Message 4 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

if you are low spender and you spend mostly on gas and groceries then i think sallie mae is a no brainer. also has amazon 5% 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

if you are low spender and you spend mostly on gas and groceries then i think sallie mae is a no brainer. also has amazon 5% 

+2 if the thin file doesn't get in the way though.

Message 6 of 8
drave199
Established Member

I recently got a bunch of offers in the mail which is why I started thinking about it. Chase freedom is one although it doesn't say pre qualified on it.
Message 7 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@drave199 wrote:
I recently got a bunch of offers in the mail which is why I started thinking about it. Chase freedom is one although it doesn't say pre qualified on it.

you can go to the website and do one for now... if you get the offer online, I find them pretty golden to go ahead and click apply.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.