Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me decide. Amex PRG or Ritz?

tag
tacpoly
Established Contributor

Re: Help me decide. Amex PRG or Ritz?

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, it seems like it! The Ritz in London is classed as a Tier 3 hotel and points required are 50,000 per night, so this would be a nice benefit given I'd have easily over 150,000 points by then. Does anyone know if this is just for a standard room or could you use the points/complimentary nights for a larger suite? I mean I am guessing there is a cap for which rooms you can choose, but was just wondering?

I don't know if I've just been lucky, but every time I've booked at the Ritz London, I've been upgraded to a Junior Suite.  I've never requested it -- it's just been given.

Message 31 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another option you might consider: you stated you got the Amex green card and are not happy. Amex will allow you to upgrade to the PRG or Platinum card if you like. It would not be another HP either. Just go to the Amex site and look under your offer's. It should come up. I just got the PRG and if I go there it offers me to upgrade to Platinum. Just an option if you really don't like your green Amex card.
Message 32 of 38
jsucool76
Super Contributor

that won't be a possibility for 13 months most likely, and OP would also lose out on the bonus.
Message 33 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

OP, I would also keep in mind that the PRG is primarily based to those that purchase airfare frequently. Since you said that you only plan on flying once more this year it might not be the best choice for you. Since you won't be using the 3x points on airfare, then you would only be using the 2x points on supermarkets (I'm assuming you would put dining spend on your CSP). If that'st the case I think you should look into the AMEX Everyday card. Earns 2x points on supermarkets and 1x point everywhere else. IF you make 20 purchases in a month then you get a 20% bonus on your points.

The signup bonus is a weak 10k points, but it might be better for you in the long run, plus has no annual fee! Just my 2 cents! Smiley Happy

Well, if I app'd now, I would be purchasing roughly 3 roundtrip flights including one international one in the next 12 months. I would also be paying for two tickets every time as I travel everywhere with my fiance. Thats probably going to all cost me roughly $4,000-$5,000 all together which I would imagine would still outweigh people who travel domestically 5-6 times per year on their own right?

I guess the best thing to do would just be to use the card for 12 months during its intro offer and see how much I would benefit from it. Then make up my mind at the 11 month mark to see if I would want to keep it.

As another user said, I am also going to look into the Prestige card.

Message 34 of 38
jsucool76
Super Contributor

credit cards are definitely a try thing, but I advocate doing as much research as possible beforehand,which you're doing by asking here.

with 3 trips coming up, I'd once again highly recommend the Prestige card, provided you stay in hotels (and not with friends/family) and each trip is at least 4 nights long. the free 4th night on those 3 trips alone can easily be worth hundreds (or substantially more) depending on the caliber of hotel you stay at. the 50000 point signup bonus can also take 800$ off your airfare if you book a flight on American Airlines (or an AA codeshare partner (codeshare will need to be booked over the phone with an AA flight number)). the 250$ airline credit will also take another $250 off of another flight you book (I'm not sure if the airline credit works for thankyou travel)
Message 35 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
credit cards are definitely a try thing, but I advocate doing as much research as possible beforehand,which you're doing by asking here.

with 3 trips coming up, I'd once again highly recommend the Prestige card, provided you stay in hotels (and not with friends/family) and each trip is at least 4 nights long. the free 4th night on those 3 trips alone can easily be worth hundreds (or substantially more) depending on the caliber of hotel you stay at. the 50000 point signup bonus can also take 800$ off your airfare if you book a flight on American Airlines (or an AA codeshare partner (codeshare will need to be booked over the phone with an AA flight number)). the 250$ airline credit will also take another $250 off of another flight you book (I'm not sure if the airline credit works for thankyou travel)

+1. Best travel card available

Message 36 of 38
jsucool76
Super Contributor

thank you point fares also count as paid fares, which means you earn elite qualifying miles/points/segments, as well as full milage in the trip,so if you go this route make sure you sign up for am AAdvantage membership.
Message 37 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, so Chase finally emailed me back, no surprises but I just thought I would share:

One of the many benefits of The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card 
is to receive a statement credit for airline incidentals 
up to $300 per calendar year (January 1 - December 31).  
Only the following types of non-ticket purchases qualify 
to receive credit for the Airline Incidental Credit 
benefit offered on this card: 

? Airline lounge day pass, or towards a yearly lounge 
membership of your choice
? Airline seat upgrades
? Airline baggage fees
? In-flight internet/entertainment
? In-flight meals
? Global Entry fees 

The credit cannot be applied to: 

? Taxis/subway/car rental/airport parking 
? Airline gift card purchase 
? Airline ticket purchases, including award booking 
fees, taxes related to a ticket purchase or pet 
cabin/flight fees
? Ticket cancellation fees 
? Duty free shops

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.