@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Not to sway you one way or the other but the Ritz also includes 

Enjoy Two Complimentary Nights at any participating Tier 1-4  

Can you say honeymoon 

Both cards are great IMHO

Chase will still you the 140K point offer instead of the two night one and that's a better deal.  The Ritz card is great and the 140K offer makes it tough to turn down along with the other benefits.

Yes, it seems like it! The Ritz in London is classed as a Tier 3 hotel and points required are 50,000 per night, so this would be a nice benefit given I'd have easily over 150,000 points by then. Does anyone know if this is just for a standard room or could you use the points/complimentary nights for a larger suite? I mean I am guessing there is a cap for which rooms you can choose, but was just wondering?

You can use the points for any room.  The card also comes with three certificates for upgrades to Club Level rooms at a Ritz for up to 7 nights.

Now you are talking Honeymoom

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 11 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help me decide. Amex PRG or Ritz?

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Not to sway you one way or the other but the Ritz also includes 

Enjoy Two Complimentary Nights at any participating Tier 1-4  

Can you say honeymoon 

Both cards are great IMHO

Chase will still you the 140K point offer instead of the two night one and that's a better deal.  The Ritz card is great and the 140K offer makes it tough to turn down along with the other benefits.

Yes, it seems like it! The Ritz in London is classed as a Tier 3 hotel and points required are 50,000 per night, so this would be a nice benefit given I'd have easily over 150,000 points by then. Does anyone know if this is just for a standard room or could you use the points/complimentary nights for a larger suite? I mean I am guessing there is a cap for which rooms you can choose, but was just wondering?

You can use the points for any room.  The card also comes with three certificates for upgrades to Club Level rooms at a Ritz for up to 7 nights.

After considering this, I think it seems like a no-brainer for me now, at least for the first year of owning the card. That's awesome.

Given I was wrong about the whole 'Chase-24 month-cobranded cards' thing, I will probably be applying within the next few months now then.

Something that just occurred to me though, I travel with Delta to LAX sometimes to stay with a friend and I know Delta are partnered with Amex. So I am guessing my Lounge Club wouldn't qualify with Delta purchases... I could always just find another airline but do like Delta. Hmm. 

Lol You'll love this answer 

Sounds like you can benefit from both cards in that case 

Sounds like a double app spree to me and neither card has FTF so another plus 

Edit to add and you can add 50k MR points to go with the honeymoon as well

Hahahaha!

I mean I feel I wouldn't be using both cards that much to benefit, but I guess the Amex PRG's fee would be waived the first year; which is tempting.

I don't want to go overboard though, as I would have to close one card before the year in that case. Trying to focus roughly $30k of yearly spending across more than 3 cards would be diluting my potential rewards too much for my liking, even with say, $10k of yearly spending per card. My CSP still needs love as well. I wish they would offer an airline credit with the Sapphire otherwise I could just garden for another 1-2 years Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know. I'm absolutely guessing. But I'm pretty sure the certificates would be for standard rooms. The points, however, you could put towards whatever you want. I've been unsuccessful figuring out the points for RC London. I went to RC Laguna Niguel and 60k a night doesn't get you a room, you have to kick in cash. Screen Shot 2015-06-28 at 7.54.55 PM.png

Message 13 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^

Ouch! I would have to research this for the Ritz London before applying as it could be a dealbreaker...

Message 14 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am guessing I would have to call to find out, as the point redemption option only shows Marriott rewards for standard rooms at 50k per night at the London Ritz. Ritz points could be different and the promotion could include better rooms etc. But maybe not, otherwise staying in say, the penthouse suite, for just a $395 annual fee does seem a little too good to be true don't you think?

Message 15 of 38
jsucool76
Super Contributor

It sounds like that hotel is sold out of standard rooms (for points redemptions) and is only offering upgraded rooms. 

Be aware, the $300 airline incidental credit with the ritz CANNOT be used for gift cards. While people (myself included) have had success, it is not guaranteed, and that should definitely play a role in your decision. 

Reports have been that chase has STOPPED matching the 140k offer for now. 

Free night certificates are ONLY good for standard rooms. 

You CANNOT use points for ANY ROOM. You can use points for a STANDARD room, OR, IF THE HOTEL OFFERS IT, you can use points or cash to upgrade (much like at the ritz you've listed above). NOT ALL HOTELS OFFER THIS. 

When you book ANY paid Ritz stay (over 2 nights) using your ritz carlton card, you will get a $100 hotel credit (for restaurant, spa, room service, bar, so on).(Z34 code, CAN BE COMBINED WITH CLUB LEVEL) 

the 7 night club level upgrade cert is only good on elligible rates (you can look these up using the Z38 corporate/promo code, must book over phone, CAN BE COMBINED WITH $100 CREDIT) 

The ritz carlton card also comes with marriott gold status (normally achieved at 50 nights) free for the first year (and each year after that with 10k spend on the ritz card). 

Gold status includes

25% bonus on base points

Free enhanced wifi at all marriott family hotels (excluding certain hotels listed in the T&Cs)

guaranteed lounge access/free breakfast at ALL full service properties (JW Marriott, Marriott, Autograph Collection, Rennaissance) Excluding resorts, other hotels include free breakfast for all guests (fairfield, springhill, residence inn, towneplace suites (who just recently revamped their breakfast offerings) NO FREE BREAKFAST AT COURTYARD hotels) DOES NOT INCLUDE RITZ CLUB LEVEL

Some hotels may waive or reduce resort and/or parking fees for elite members

Priority Late Checkout (as late as 4pm, but you'll almost never get that) 

Room Upgrades (based on availability) - Ritz excludes suite and club level upgrades (unless you use club level upgrade certificate)

Some other stuff. That's the meat and potatoes though. 

Message 16 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ritz is a great card but as the previous poster said it appears they have stopped the 140k offer.  I would wait a few months until it shows back up and apply then.  Gardening a bit more can only really help you there.  The points you avhieve can and do apply to Mariott hotels as well so you might be able to get a full week in London at another mariott property for those points.  Also, you can get airline gift cards but it depends on the airlines.  Do a bit of research and you should be able to figure out just who works and just who doesnt and how to do it.  It is a great card and is on my list as Chase isn't too happy with me right now due to number of inquiries.

Message 17 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

It sounds like that hotel is sold out of standard rooms (for points redemptions) and is only offering upgraded rooms. 

Be aware, the $300 airline incidental credit with the ritz CANNOT be used for gift cards. While people (myself included) have had success, it is not guaranteed, and that should definitely play a role in your decision. 

Ok, so if I purchase a United Airlines gift card for $100, they might not grant that? Do you have a thread or proof backing this up? I am confused as to why they would grant that to everyone so far and now stop. This would definately be a dealbreaker for me then. I am thinking of just calling or chatting them to find out what they have to say about it. I am going to keep gardening until I find out more about the gift card situation and also the 140k points offer.

Thank you everyone for all your input

UPDATE*** I have just emailed Chase asking about this so hopefully will have an answer in the next few days

Message 18 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that's too bad about them not matching the 140K offer any longer.  Hopefully the people recently approved will still have luck.

Message 19 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Ok, so if I purchase a United Airlines gift card for $100, they might not grant that? Do you have a thread or proof backing this up? I am confused as to why they would grant that to everyone so far and now stop. This would definately be a dealbreaker for me then. I am thinking of just calling or chatting them to find out what they have to say about it. I am going to keep gardening until I find out more about the gift card situation and also the 140k points offer.

Thank you everyone for all your input

UPDATE*** I have just emailed Chase asking about this so hopefully will have an answer in the next few days

Definitely don't try the airline credit with United Gift Cards.  Because Chase has a relationship with United they get different reporting for those purchases and clearly see that they are gift cards.

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.