Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me decide BCE vs Discover It

tag
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: Help me decide BCE vs Discover It

From what you're saying I'd tend to point you a bit toward a BCE as well.  Though, with your scores and UTIL, you could no doubt get both BCE, then IT, and both would probably treat you well. 

And yes, Discover does auto CLIs, so does AMEX.  Discover, if you're granted a higher limit product by them, is probably more likely to do the auto CLI though.   Do NOT bank on the AMEX 61 day 3xCLI as though it's a given,  there's no guarantee on that and people rarely post when they didn't get any sort of CLI with them on that attempt.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 11 of 34
PSouz
Contributor

@hayabusa - thats me! Haha about 35/40 dollars a week and pretty much never buy groceries

Amex BCE $14k (backdated to 1/11), Chase Freedom $500 (11/2012)
Discover It Student $3k (3/13), Citi Dividend Platinum Visa $3k (3/13)
Capital One Cash Rewards Visa $3.5k (3/13)
Starting Score 3/20/13 - TransUnion FICO 758 - Goal Score 800
Message 12 of 34
PSouz
Contributor

A week on gas*

Message 13 of 34
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Get both. Your scores and util will definitely get you approved.
Message 14 of 34
bohemian07

Excellent points. With regards to Amex BCP, is there a higher approval threshold than BCE? I don't have any Amex and would like to start with either BCE or BCP, just want to maximize approval odds. Also does anyone know when will the CRA will update my score since I got Chase this Monday? My AAoA would go down so I want to be prepared.
Message 15 of 34
PSouz
Contributor

You should be fins with either, I believe its about the same, but regardless your scores are great

Message 16 of 34
hayabusa

@bohemian07 wrote:
Excellent points. With regards to Amex BCP, is there a higher approval threshold than BCE? I don't have any Amex and would like to start with either BCE or BCP, just want to maximize approval odds. Also does anyone know when will the CRA will update my score since I got Chase this Monday? My AAoA would go down so I want to be prepared.

Maximize your approval odds? Right now you're probably 99% approved. I think the chances of you getting rejected from your scores AAOA and utility I would say would like losing with Quad Kings in Poker....

Message 17 of 34
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@hayabusa wrote:

@bohemian07 wrote:

Maximize your approval odds? Right now you're probably 99% approved. I think the chances of you getting rejected from your scores AAOA and utility I would say would like losing with Quad Kings in Poker....

I'd say that pretty much sums it up myself, though I might say quad Queens to be on the safe side  Smiley LOL  

And they usually pull from different CBs as well, so you'd most likely only add 1 INQ per report;  AMEX usually EX,  Disco, hard to say,  you'd have to check "Whogavemecredit.com" to figure that out as per your location the best you could.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 18 of 34
enharu
Super Contributor

@hayabusa wrote:

@kevinjjc wrote:

Why not get both? Smiley Tongue

+1

definitely get both.

they have bonuses for different categories and both are good cards by good companies.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 19 of 34
genmic
Established Member

Discover has partner gift cards that allow you to earn extra cash back, e.g. you can redeem $20 cash back for $25 Tom's giftcard. That alone makes it more valuable to me than the Chase Freedom card. If you only spend in bonus categories it is equivalent to getting 6.25% cash back.
Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.