cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me decide on a Travel/Rewards card!

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Help me decide on a Travel/Rewards card!

Why is Freedom 10 UR per $?  I think you get 5 (if that is the bonus category) and when you transfer them to CSP, it stays as 5  (excluding bonuses for checking and anniversary)

Edit: sorry, I see you were talking about using one the dining restaurants.  Then yes.

Message 11 of 22
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

Does chase still offer the 10% UR bonus for having checking?
Message 12 of 22
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Chase still does the 10% with checking; 10% annual bonus only applies to Freedom purchases!
Message 13 of 22
Luscher
Valued Contributor

CSP!
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 14 of 22
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

OP,

In terms of the right card, based on your comments, it is a fairly complex decision as to what will maximize benefits.  I'll give my recommedations first.  I'll try to explain my reasoning afterwards but not sure if I'll do a good job given the complexity of the thinking and my ability to write it up.

Based on your monthly spending of up to 3k and main goal of "helping" out with upcoming Europe trip, I would not be looking for which card fits my spending the best, but which card gives me the biggest bang for my spending.  In other words, I would be looking at which cards offer the most and most useful bonus points.  If that is the case, then the contenders are more obvious; Starwood Preferred (30k), CSP (40k), Barclay Arrival (40k).

Why do I say go for the bonus miles?  Think of it in this way.  Value of card bonus wise can be measured in a few ways:

1) Points earning structure: How many points/miles/cash back you earn per dollar spent?  You look at things like category that get more than 1% etc. and see which matches your spending pattern the most.

2) Value of points/cash back/miles:  Not all points/cash back/miles are equal.  Your goal is to get over 1 cent per point/cash back/miles in value.  Typically, only miles can offer a method to get much higher than 1 cent per point value, but even then primarily if you use it to get business/first tickets.  The important thing however is that you have enough points etc to actually use the points.  This is the big gotcha in airline miles and even with cash back cards as they may have certain minimums.

So in any case, your goal is to get as much value per dollar spent.  The overall goal should be at least $2 cents per dollar spent.  Since your annual spending is around $36K, your goal is to get $720 worth of value minimum.  Airline miles are less useful to you, as your spending level makes it very difficult for you to get tickets unless you are willing to wait a couple of years or so and have very flexible schedule.  Basically, the bonus cards give you so much points right away, it is hard to beat their value at your spending level.

So given your profile and assuming you can qualify for any card, I would recommend you get 2 cards:

1) AMEX Starwood Preferred: starwood points are extremely valuable/useful, but no bonus point category.  However the main reasons to get this card is two fold.  One, the bonus points are great and 30k and 30k is enough to be useful.  2nd, the AMEX will be backdated and be helpful for your credit.

2) Either Fidelity 2% card or take your pick from one of the other cards that best match your spending among the cards with good bonuses.

+1. Some solid advice here, and I'll toss out another one as well.

The Club Carlson Visa offered through U.S. Bank will help with your hotel costs if you plan to travel to Europe (since this is where they have their best hotels). The initial signup bonus, free final night on a points redemption and automatic gold status is easily worth the annual fee. In addition the 40k annual bonus gives additional incentive to hold on to the card for future trips, since you travel yearly at a minimum.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 15 of 22
randeman
Frequent Contributor

@Kozmo wrote:
Well, in doing more research about United it does help that they have loyalty programs to boot. For example their dining rewards gives 5 miles for every $1 spent at participating restaurants and all you do is type in your zip and it gives you participating places. On a quick check I noticed 5 places we routinely dine out to and that's just in my neighborhood.

So, if I use a CSP and attach it to this program I will get 5 united miles per $1 spent and then 2 UR points per $1 spent making it 7 miles per $1 spent if using United spexifically. Or if my freedom happens to have a restaurant category for one quarter it would be 10 miles per $1 spent for that quarter. So it seems pretty easy to rack up united miles if UR points are a 1:1 transfer.

My brain is fried!

@Kozmo wrote:
Well, in doing more research about United it does help that they have loyalty programs to boot. For example their dining rewards gives 5 miles for every $1 spent at participating restaurants and all you do is type in your zip and it gives you participating places. On a quick check I noticed 5 places we routinely dine out to and that's just in my neighborhood.

So, if I use a CSP and attach it to this program I will get 5 united miles per $1 spent and then 2 UR points per $1 spent making it 7 miles per $1 spent if using United spexifically. Or if my freedom happens to have a restaurant category for one quarter it would be 10 miles per $1 spent for that quarter. So it seems pretty easy to rack up united miles if UR points are a 1:1 transfer.

My brain is fried!

Delta has this service too for any credit/debit card.  You link your cards to SkyMiles Dining and they give you one mile for every dollar you spend at participating restaurants.  In order to get five miles per dollar with Delta you have to dine at least twelve times in a twelve month period.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 16 of 22
bribro
Valued Contributor

Given that you already have a Freedom card, the CSP is a natural fit. It's true that you often get the best "value" from UR points by transferring to United and redeeming the miles for international first class tickets, but you can still get a lot of value from UR points in other ways. If you fly Southwest,you'll net about 1.9 cpm, so dining on CSP is equivalent to a 4% cash back card (not including iDine/RN Dining bonuses) in that case. For last minute domestic trips that you must take, redeeming United miles for flights in coach can by tremendously valuable. British Avios redemptions for short haul domestic trips can also be a good use.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 17 of 22
Open123
Super Contributor

@bribro wrote: For last minute domestic trips that you must take, redeeming United miles for flights in coach can by tremendously valuable.

+1

Right, this benefit is often underscored when comparing cash vs. travel rewards with FF programs.  

Case in point.  My wife and I had had to fly to the East coast for personal reasons.  We neither had the time nor luxury to book in advance, or otherwise plan the trip, since it was one of those "emergency" flights where you book within a certain time frame regardless of pricing.  For a coach flight, the cost was about $700 or $800 each way, because of peak season and availability, making it almost $1,500+ round trip.  Using UA points, the flight was only about 30K - 40K points with minimal gas and tax charges, as is the custom with UA.

The overwhelming advantage with having travel rewards over cashback is having the flexibility to either pay or use miles, whichever has the better value.

Message 18 of 22
bribro
Valued Contributor

I had almost the exact same experience recently Open123. Earlier this year I had a death in the family and had to fly across the country. With only two days notice, domestic flights on United (and most other airlines) were starting at $1,000 for coach, and the only one that really fit my schedule was ~$1,600 (yes... for domestic coach... on United). I was able to book a roundtrip saver award ticket for 25k UR points, which gives me a value of $0.064/mile. As a bonus, my status with United allowed me to upgrade to first class both ways for free (CPU because I have a Chase MP Explorer card linked to my UA MP account).

At 6.4 cpm that means I was getting 65% cash back equivalent on my Freedom card restaurant purchases at the time ([5.1x Freedom + 5x for iDine/RN Rining] * 6.4). Good luck trying to get that kind of value out of a cashback card.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 19 of 22
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

Yeah I think I've decided on CSP.

I thought about also getting a hotels reward card but to be honest I think it makes more sense just to use my Freedom/CSP/Checking combo for all of my expenses. I don't know If I can/feel like spreading out my purchases over 3 credit cards. Kind of a waste to me. Especially since UR points can go for hotels too so.

Do you guys think they will hound me on my 2 60 day lates from sallie Mae that are about 4.5 years old? I can offer an explanation but just would like to know if they will ask.

I just moved a few months back so I'm sure ill have to call in anyways for address verification.
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.